advertisement

Time for a motorbike list

It might so be so bad on the wrists, I don't know, but a pillion? The SV would be better and my wife can't get on that! And the power is less too.
I think the pillion is the deal breaker then. THe rest should not be.

The SV starting point from standard is way off the Viptilen in terms of acceleration, handling and braking. My bike has 75bhp but weighs 145kg. It's faster than pretty much everything to 80mph. And the weight makes the handling extremely nimble with stock settings and tyres. From standard the Husky will probably beat a tuned SV. A tuned Husky will leave it for dead,

My brother has a ktm 690 duke (same motor as the 701) as a second bike, it too is a lovely bike to ride
Another mate who has a 1290gt, has bought a 390 to fit in his motorhome, again he says the 390 is superbe machine and great handling, to be honest the 390 is a little small for me.

My brother has a ktm 690 duke (same motor as the 701) as a second bike, it too is a lovely bike to ride
Another mate who has a 1290gt, has bought a 390 to fit in his motorhome, again he says the 390 is superbe machine and great handling, to be honest the 390 is a little small for me.
Yes, they are a funny one, cheap but you only get 45bhp and it still weighs 145kg. You may as well get the 690 engine.

I always wanted a Honda Benly 125.

On the way to school ( in the ‘60s ) one went past and my heart fluttered.
It looked so wonderful in metallic red, compared with the British bikes’ dull colours.

I nearly owned one about 8/9 years ago, but it just didn’t happen.

I owned a couple of scooters, but the only motorcycle I owned was a
BSA M20 !

No, they were scooters when I owned them, in the ‘60s.

Things are all wrong these days.
The media say someone on a moped was ‘stopped for some reason, etc.’

Mopeds don’t exist anymore.
Mopeds have pedals like a bicycle.
Mo - motor. Ped - pedals.
Simples...

My first bike in 1993 was a proper moped.
PuchMS50_1.jpg

I replaced my Street Triple R with a simple Bike Basik, my new 2022 Yamaha MT-07 in matte black. No ride-by-wire, no riding modes, no traction control, no wheelie control, no slipper clutch, no TFT, no phone integration, RWU damper rod fork with no adjustments. An old-school motorcycle for an old phart like me.

I replaced my Street Triple R with a simple Bike Basik, my new 2022 Yamaha MT-07 in matte black. No ride-by-wire, no riding modes, no traction control, no wheelie control, no slipper clutch, no TFT, no phone integration, RWU damper rod fork with no adjustments. An old-school motorcycle for an old phart like me.
Not just for the old farts, but for the young upstarts too! That engine is snappy, the bike handles well and it's cheap.

@cubastreet - I didn't think there were many of those FT500s left.

I had a friend who was disqualified from riding bikes for a year, during which time he bought himself an off-road Beamish Suzuki trials type thingy and learned to wheelie like nowaday's pro stunt riders (and this back in the late 70s when Dave Taylor and Doug Domokos were only starting to do their thing). Anyways - his first bike back on the road when he got his license back was an FT500. He used to be able to stand the thing on its tail and ride the full length of the 1/4 mile High Street with one hand off the bars waving to all and sundry. (Clearly the disqualification period didn't have the desired effect :)).

Looking at the pictures of yours there, I see now how short a wheelbase it has, and how the rider's weight is probably no more than about 6-12 " ahead of the back axle. No wonder it was so wheeliable :)

Last edited:
The FT500 was a flop, I think it was more expensive at the time than the CB400, which was quite a lot more powerful.
Mine is actually a 400 which is the japanese market short stroke version.

Did the FT500 have a kickstart? I know that the electric starter system was famously self destructive. I always fancied one. I had a Suzuki 370 single which was cheap fun

Electric only. The main problem is when the solenoid that engages the pinion isn't lubricated, and the pinion gets eaten. There's also a shaft that turns directly in the side cover which can wear,.but a bronze bush or bearing sorts that.

The GB500TT has kickstart and electric, and looks nice too.

Suzuki X1
Kawasaki KH250
Suzuki GS550
Suzuki GS1000
Yamaha FJ1100
Yamaha 250 and 350 LC
Suzuki GT550
A few R1s
A few GSXR1000s
Ducati 600 Pantah and 900
MV Agusta F3
Bimota V-Due