advertisement

Time for a motorbike list

I had the K75S which had a tiny screen and was very calm at high touring speeds

th

And then there are pillions. A racing certainty is that you finally find a screen that is perfect for you, sit someone behind you and they are being blown all over the place hahaha.

Wrt screens in general - how do you guys find them ?

With any I've tried - including my brother's PC800 with varying screen heights - I've never been comfortable with them unless they are so low that your head sits in the free stream, at which point you're not looking through the screen anyway. When you get to that point, there's no real benefit in having a transparent shield in front of you that I can percieve. I don't really get them.

With any I've tried - including my brother's PC800 with varying screen heights - I've never been comfortable with them unless they are so low that your head sits in the free stream, at which point you're not looking through the screen anyway. When you get to that point, there's no real benefit in having a transparent shield in front of you that I can percieve. I don't really get them.

Depends on the bikes seating position and the riders height mostly, alot of the time taller riders complain of wind buffeting the top of their lid.
When I bought my first FL it's was dressed in a kind of 'CHIPS' style tourer, hydraulic seat post with a 'flexomatic' seat, screen, leg/engine bars, etc, with a combination of the stock FL suspension (soft and wallowing) and the shielding I almost felt disconnected from the road, I'm guessing that was inherent of the design hence the 'Glide' moniker, fine for riding on big straight American highways but not great on the twisties.

best I've ever used were Ducati's ST2 standard screen which sent the windflow onto my chest with no helmet buffeting at all, and the first ever BMW R100RT tourer, which was a barn door. Even makers own can be awful. My triumph tiger one such, bloody terrible, so bought an aftermarket 'Madstad' screen and that was 95% good and adjustable and quite good looking in a way?

IMG_0645 by John Dutfield, on Flickr

As I remember it the Pacific Coast 800 Honda was introduced with the 750 Africa Twin. My Africa Twin on motorways was a big soft calm armchair capable of high speeds for hundreds of miles. The screen was quite small as it would be for a desert racer clone. I would try to find an after market small screen for your BMW. The dealers are normally pretty hot.

An Aria crash hat with few vents is a good idea noise wise I found.

Depends on the bikes seating position and the riders height mostly, alot of the time taller riders complain of wind buffeting the top of their lid.

My understanding of the aerodynamics / airflow over and around a screen is that there are primarily 3 different regions - moving from the top down they would be (i) Free stream, laminar flow stuff (ii) A turbulent zone where the flow detaches and you get the classic buffeting and (iii) A relatively calm still-air 'bubble' where the rider is pretty sheltered from the other two. If any part of your head is in the turbulent/buffering zone then it tends to be very noisy - so you either want your helmet to be above or below it. If you are below it, then you end up looking through the screen and end up looking at the world through a bit of plastic with whatever dirts, scratches and distortion it adds to the mix.

I remember reading advice from an ex California Patrolman once about ensuring the screen was low enough so that your eyes had a clear view over the top that ensured the screen covered ('blocked') no more than a maximum of 50 feet of road out aead of the bike.

The problem I have with screens is that with the aerodynamics being such as they are, you have to choose between sitting in a relatively calm bubble of air but having to look through the plastic - or sit head out in the free-stream to see clearly and avoid the buffeting, which pretty much negates most of the value of having a screen in the first place - no ?

yes
A really well designed screen will tip the air 'just' over your head while your eyes see over the top (just), but then, as mentioned, any pillion literally gets it in the neck. If you want calm air in all weathers then you must choose a barn door and accept looking through it. Calm air is available with a good low screen, but if it rains, or you you run through a fly storm?
But both those options will keep your pillion happy.

I would try to find an after market small screen for your BMW. The dealers are normally pretty hot.

Of all of the problems I face in life Herb - acquiring parts for a (shudder) B*W motorcycle has not, and assuredly will not ever likely be one :)

Only one I've had that worked properly was the aftermarket one on the fairing of a VFR750 I had. A bit ugly looking but worked really well. My Blackbird kinda aims the worst of it right at my head...

I’ve enjoyed reading this thread so I thought I would add my list.
I started an apprenticeship in September 1975 and I rode to work for four years on a succession of bikes:

1974 Honda SS50 moped (I wanted an FS1E but this was for sale at a good price. I wish I had waited)

1969 Honda CD175 (The one with the slanted engine. It had Dunstall 'silencers' on it. All talk, no action)

1974 Yamaha RD200 (Passed my test on this bike)

1974 Suzuki T500 (Those of a certain age will remember the Death Valley advert in Bike magazine)

When I came out of my time in 1979 my pay more than doubled and I started to spend some real money:

1973 Triumph Bonneville 650 (With a full Avon touring fairing on it the engine clatter was horrendous)

1976 Norton Commando Interstate Mk3 (The 'Silver Slug' as my Z900 riding mates used to call it)

1977 Triumph T160V (I never touched the engine. Truth)

Bultaco 250 Sherpa (Not road legal obviously)

AJS 410 Stormer (A bit of an animal and rather intimidating when being ragged round a field)

In 1983 went back to college full time for two years and I had to cut my cloth to suit:

1979 MZ TS250 Super 5 (I remember the days when everybody got one of these for the winter)

I started work in the Food Industry in 1985 and at the same time my daughter was born so I didn’t do any riding other than commuting:

1985 MZ ETZ250 (I put TT100's on it and it and rode it all year whatever the weather)

Then in 1993 after a chance visit to Woods Motorcycles in Abergele the bug returned with a vengeance:

1993 Ducati 750 SS (A bit underpowered, so I put a Bates Racing Kit on it. Then it was under-braked)

1978 Morini 500 Sport (Quite pleasant to ride but nothing special)

1975 Morini 3 1/2 Sport (The one with clip-ons and the big drum brake. Worth a lot of money these days)

Then I had a mid-life crisis:

2002 Harley Davidson FXDL (OK, I know, but least my wife would go on the back)

When that passed, I owned the following:

1981 BMW R65 (Wish I still had this one)

1987 BMW K100 (I still own this and I've done over 35,000 miles on it. I've got used to the vibration white finger)

1997 Honda ST100 Pan European (Only kept this for 9 months. Superb tourer but too big for me)

In April 2022 I bought a 2021 BMW FX900R. It is super easy to ride and deceptively fast. I've got a speeding ticket on it already.

Bit of a long shot: I have a few copies of Ride / Bike motorbike mags that need a new home.

They are:
Bike Oct 2021 which I’ll include; Bike of the Year 2021 Edition.

The others all have various reviews / reports of the BMW S1000XR vs other similar adventure / sports tourers: Well worth reading if you are thinking of buying one of these.

Ride Nov 2015: BMW R1200GS vs S1000XR vs R1200RS

Rude Dec 2017: BMW S1000XR vs Z1000SX vs MT10 Tourer

Bike July 2105: BMW S1000XR test.
(Also: H2 vs R1 vs Duke 1299 vs S1000RR vs Blade).

Free mags, though you can chip in for postage if you wish.
PM me if interested.

Cheers.
Keith

On screens I've found the double bubble type ones work well with sports bikes where at autobahn cruising speeds you want a bit of wind on your chest to take the weight of your wrists, but with more upright bikes I like one that directs the bulk of the airflow over your helmet but with you still being able to see over the screen.

I think my current CBF1000GT is the first and only faired bike I've owned where I haven't replaced the screen as it seems a reasonable balance. Either that or I'm just riding slower (and definitely less often!) in my old age.

This thread's been dormant for a while..must be nearly that time of year again surely ? :)

Slightly unusual request this - and admittedly a long shot, but does anybody out there know where there might be a decent Harley FXR for sale ?

I've been on the lookout for one for at least the last 18 months, and am actively chasing more vigourusly now due to having cleared up some space in the garage. Have been trawling the web, looking as far afield as France, Germany and even Sweden, but would be happier if I could find one closer to home so I could check it out properly without having to travel halfway across Europe. As a model they do seem to suffer from the Frankenbike problem more than most, with few still being entirely original. Aftermarket parts I don't mind, but the two with mismatched frame, engines and logbooks I looked at so far - not so much :(

If I could find a genuine bike being sold by a genuine individual, I'd be delighted to travel and pay the right money. If anyone knows of one, or somebody who might know a man who knows one, I'd really appreciate any help.

hung up my boots & gloves for good...
sold my 2013 Ducati Diavel Dark 1200 last year
just getting too much for my wrists/arms (Arthritis).

good luck with your search!.

There might be a bike or two added to the collection later this year. If it happens I will add them to the thread. As of now my bio has all my 2 and 4 wheeled vehicles listed...

@-alan- not so much in the way of FXRs about, there is a nicely finished Corbin Warbird on ebay but no stock FXRs, they become very very popular with the stunt rider/hooligan Harley riders, the evo Dynas would be a good choice if you can't come by a FXR.

advertisement

Back