advertisement

Tidy Mains for 8 items of gear

Amber Audio

This is the Day
I have 8 pieces of kit in a rack, I was thinking Grahams Hydra but as it's not Naim they don't advise/won't sell me one, plus they are on furlough, which is fair enough.

Currently I'm using an Eaton UPS and 8 UPS cables nicked from work.

Before I buy this, which won't be as tidy as I want cos it will not fit at 19"+ I figured I'd check into DIY.
https://www.studiospares.com/Cables...P8-1-Power-Conditioner--Rack-Light_348160.htm

Looked at making up those fancy mains leads ala Furutech with the straight cabling arrangement but the price of plugs is silly, unless someone knows a source?

Browsing eBay etc the AUS/EU/USA plugs seem way cheaper. Question - if I get an EU Schuko mains block that takes a separate mains cable and feed it with a UK one, am I OK making up 8 EU Schuko - IEC Plug cables. Safety/Earthing issues?

Intention is it slides under the rack on the floor, not much head room hence wanting the cable exit parallel to the floor and making the cables exactly the right lengths will make it look tidy.

Hope the above ramble makes sense.

I could go out and buy an AQ/ISOL-8/ISOTEK block + their Cables but that is an awful lot of bread for some tidy power cabling.

Any other ideas/suggestions for off the shelf or DIY?

Not expecting it to improve the sound - not going near that can of worms, I just want it to look super tidy.

The rest of it will be fine as I am making Klotz/Neutrik cables up of the right length.

Sorted some Van Damme black with BFA's screwed not soldered as per advice from here before.

Gus

I intend to make my own to slide below my rack, probably in conjunction with the DCT03 DC blocker, I'm going to use Neutrik Powercon locking connectors to IEC for the equipment. I'll make my own power leads as well.

I intend to make my own to slide below my rack, probably in conjunction with the DCT03 DC blocker, I'm going to use Neutrik Powercon locking connectors to IEC for the equipment. I'll make my own power leads as well.
Be very interested in any pics/info links to parts etc. Only just getting back into this stuff after many years away, still have a lot of practice to do with the soldering cos my eyesight is goosed somewhat. I was thinking of buying the 8 way Schuko block and just making the cables.

Be very interested in any pics/info links to parts etc. Only just getting back into this stuff after many years away, still have a lot of practice to do with the soldering cos my eyesight is goosed somewhat. I was thinking of buying the 8 way Schuko block and just making the cables.

Here you go,
DC Blocker,
https://sjostromaudio.com/pages/ind...e-dc-trap-high-end-style-heavy-duty?showall=1
Neutrik chassis and cable connectors,
https://www.neutrik.com/en/neutrik/products/powercon/powercon-true1-top

No soldering to do if you use a pre-assembled DC blocker, the Neutrik chassis and cable connectors have either screw or spade terminals.
Lots of cable options available, too many to list here, my advice would be something fairly flexible rather than stiff just from the perspective of making it easy to work with.
As for enclosures or chassis you could make your own or choose from the many aluminium or Abs plastic models available.

This thread about the DC blocker may give you some ideas, hope that helps.

https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/dc-blocker-gb-closing-soon.216403/

Check out HB laboratories on eBay, they supply furutech style for a lot less, I have them and genuine furutech and well you can guess the rest

Thanks will check them out, hope to get cracking on my RCA’s next week and the mains stuff ordered up.

Look at Olson UK products. Utterly solid, no-nonsense equipment.

I've just rescued a couple of these from an office move. Very impressed with their quality and I'm already trying to work out if I can get a DC blocker in a few of the sockets.

Too wide - have them in the Server/Comms cabs - makes the Dells sound more airy/spacious

I want something less than 15" wide so I can hide it under the hifi rack and route the cables out the back and up - tie them to the legs/uprights

A couple of these? https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/hp...MIy_PCk5Hw6QIVQpnVCh0mNACbEAQYBCABEgIIifD_BwE

Though you'd need two mains leads or daisy chain three - but they are cheap.
Jem you must be a mind reader - as a stop gap one of those and a couple of 90cm versions of these are arriving Tuesday, cost is less than a single fancy Furutech plug.

Long term the Neutrik solution Darren pointed out is the plan, need to get a bit of DIY practice in first.

DkKHsvr.jpg

I bulit a 'hydra' from a grey plastic box a bit like this: https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-ip55-enclosure-grey-270-x-180-x-135mm/86625
Inside I fitted a DC blocker (found a ready built one from somewhere) and brought the cables out through cable glands. I also had a mains filter on each output, and a wifi enabled relay to switch it on and off remotely. It worked fine for some years, but my system is now only three units (ignoring the speakers which are at the other end of the room) so it's a bit OTT and my present units don't seem to be interference prone and don't have toroids either.

I've just ordered an aluminium box and a bunch of plugs with the intention of making a star wired mains block (I'm sure someone will correct me if that's the wrong term - It is hard to find a sensibly priced block with Au/NZ plugs without filtering). Basic stuff for most people here, but I also had to order a soldering station at the same time if that gives an idea of my experience. I bought one Futuretech plug, because it seemed sensible where the star wiring all meets together...but now wondering if I am better to wire the mains cable straight into the star wiring to eliminate 2 more plugs from the circuit.

Box-Screenshot 2023-07-03 211245 by artoly the second, on Flickr

Au plug-Screenshot 2023-07-03 211316 by artoly the second, on Flickr

FuturetechScreenshot 2023-07-03 211446 by artoly the second, on Flickr

mainaplug=Screenshot 2023-07-03 211114 by artoly the second, on Flickr

I fully support the Olson recommendations.

Simple no nonsense, well made items that are not over hyped, over priced or full of spurious claims.

advertisement

Back