advertisement

Three Year Old Nissan X-Trail...

Si74

pfm Member
Son bought a year old one.. a few years ago, 31,000 miles to date. £1,350 for a new clutch and dual Flywheel? Only ever put up-rated clutches in my RS, never worn out a clutch on any of my cars, some doing 150K.
By coincidence, borrowed his Mother's 2010/40K Civic for a few weeks and today the clutch is goosed. We used to bounce these X-trails up mountain tracks and never had a problem???
Lent him mine, just as well leather seats or my Grandson would die, muddy football boot sole .prints all over the back of both front seats, mysterious substance in the seam's of the passenger seat......
When a modestly expensive car become as dispensable as a stood on phone or I-pAD ???????

I would be assessing his driving before I let him in another one of your cars. In all my years I’ve only ever had to fit one clutch to any of my cars, a 1980 Alfasud and I suspect the fact the previous owner had a small boat and had it up and down ramps and causeways may have been the contributing factor!

DMFs can kill modern clutches, as can poor design such as concentric slave cylinders. Easy to fit, bit the cylinder cooks in the bell housing, then it leaks. On the friction plate.

Operator error kills a lot too.

X-Trails are popular out here in SE Asia, 100% automatic. I do wonder if the UK manual market is a real afterthought these days and under-tested.

I would be assessing his driving before I let him in another one of your cars. In all my years I’ve only ever had to fit one clutch to any of my cars, a 1980 Alfasud and I suspect the fact the previous owner had a small boat and had it up and down ramps and causeways may have been the contributing factor!
A Sud survived being near saltwater? Blimey.

Don't forget Nissan now use many Renault parts, could this be the route of the problem? The Renault factor has put me off buying a Nissan.

I am always amazed, when out on my bike, how many people are clearly riding the clutch when sitting at junctions.

I've only ever fitted one new clutch, the gearbox was being replaced (due to a stupid mechanic tearing the tailshaft seal) and it would have been silly not to.

I am always amazed, when out on my bike, how many people are clearly riding the clutch when sitting at junctions.

I've only ever fitted one new clutch, the gearbox was being replaced (due to a stupid mechanic tearing the tailshaft seal) and it would have been silly not to.
3 in my case. Triumph Spitfire, broken pressure plate, DIY replacement as easy. Peugeot 405, release bearing went at 120k miles, Vauxhall Vectra, 120k again, leaky slave cylinder contaminated the plates. Current car is 177k on the original, but it has done mostly long trips.

Triumph Spitfire, broken pressure plate,

I forgot the Discovery where the centre of the friction plate broke. Lost drive one day then it was okay for another few days for losing drive completely. Couldn't believe it when I saw the clutch plate.

I don't think I can be too hard on a clutch if I can drive around for a few days with a broken clutch plate. I was second owner with I think 50k on the first owner, it was around 60k when the clutch failed.

Renault don't make many parts. They assemble them. Same as Nissan.

I'm willing to be corrected on this but I believe Renault are the biggest manufacturer of parts or assemblies ( as a car marque ) around. Yes, all manufacturers buy in from other parts of the automotive industry, especially switch gear, brakes, turbos and the like.
My point was if a part is bad enough for Renault, is it good enough for a Nissan. Although implementation is another factor.

X-Trails are popular out here in SE Asia, 100% automatic. I do wonder if the UK manual market is a real afterthought these days and under-tested.
Agreed.
I can't think why I could want a manual version of the current X-Trail.
Big comfortable cars should only ever have auto transmission.

Agreed.
I can't think why I could want a manual version of the current X-Trail.
Big comfortable cars should only ever have auto transmission.

Son was p--ssed of when I was not ecstatic about his purchase. Drove enough Land Rovers, Fronteras in my working life to wonder why anyone would want a boat on balloon tyres to commute in.
He lost 10K over 3 years trading in his Merc to buy this crap. Loaned him my Accord Tourer and he thought it was a Rocket Ship. Thinking his next buy (talking about leasing so maybe on drugs?) should be an automatic and no way will he ever park his arse in the driver's seat of my RS. As Guinnless says, no respect or mechanical sympathy for anything these days, too easy come, too easy go. Possibly change when they have to sell their house to pay for their medical bills.

I used to make a nice living changing Alpha sud and sprint clutches
Had it down to less than an hour
Most places were charging £600 (back then) and I did it for £300
For those that don't know...it's an engine out job (for easy fitting)
Happy days....

advertisement

Back