Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on Sugden a21a and speaker matching.

Discussion in 'audio' started by Sugarman, Jul 11, 2022.

1. Sugarman

Sugarman Active Member

The treble is a bit tizzy.

2. Dozey

Dozey Air guitar member

Sounds as if one or both of the tweeters might have a problem to me. I don't know the speakers well though.

3. Sugarman

Sugarman Active Member

I'm not sure really, how would I know for sure? I guess bring them to a dealer, or someone who fixes speakers?

4. Dozey

Dozey Air guitar member

I don't know myself. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will comment.

5. Old Shatterhand

Old Shatterhand pfm Member

@Sugarman Simply trust your ears. If it doesn't sound distorted they are okay. If they only sound a bit tizzy then the speaker interacting with your room acoustic and your taste is the problem.:)

"The Studio 140s exhibit very few weaknesses – provoke the tweeter with really aggressive recordings or a very bright system and it'll draw a little too much attention to itself..."
    https://www.whathifi.com/proac/studio-140/review

Sugarman likes this.
  6. Sugarman

Sugarman Active Member

Audio Note AnJs seem to be the only speakers I can tolerate with jazz, which takes up a large part of my listening, though I do hanker after something else for rock and classical, genres I feel the Audio notes don't deal so well with. Someone mentioned Proacs, may'be the 140s aren't the right Proacs? Shame, cos they were only £200, at this money, swapping around is not so fraught with anxiety, or indeed misplaced expectations.

7. Old Shatterhand

Old Shatterhand pfm Member

There is no perfect speaker, EVERY speaker (and component) is a compromise.

narabdela and Shane2468 like this.
  8. Ruairi

Ruairi pfm Member

I hope those speakers work out for you.
    If they don't I'd be interested in them if they can be shipped.

I use a sugden a21a with ProAc response D1 and I'm very happy with the sound. Horses for courses I guess.

9. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

I like my Sugden and understand the desire to start with the amp and find the speakers to match. But it looks like it’s turning out to be quite difficult with the budget available. If it were me I think I’d sell the amp and throw most of the now bigger budget at speakers that work well with all kinds of music and don’t mind cheap class a/b or d amplification. That or save up a bit more and get some vintage Tannoys: good all-rounders, sensitive, will fill the space, don’t mind being up against a wall.

10. calorgas

calorgas Ratty bumpkin

I found that Rogers jr149 work extremely well with an A21a. Not necessarily easy to find a good pair of jr149 as you need to be patient and/or lucky, and they're not terribly appropriate if you want lots of volume. But I felt that there was some of that elusive magic in that combo.

11. Sugarman

Sugarman Active Member

If Tannoy's worked, I'd offload my ANjs, so can spend up to around £1k, that sihould get me a pair of old Eatons, just a matter of waiting till a decent pair turn up. Wouldn't the Suggie work well with Tannoys? I also have a finely modded Audio Innovations s500 valve amp, I'm currently running this with the Proacs, but the results are lacklustre. I was quite happy with my inital S500/Anj set up, but felt it lacked precison and scale, and found it was dictating my musical choice, i.e. Jazz, and well produced pop, meaning I was missing enjoying my other loves like Techno, and the not so well produced rock by lesser known 60s/70s bands.

12. Sugarman

Sugarman Active Member

I only wish I could enjoy a system like that, but need an all rounder, as I don't have space for 2 set ups, believe me, I would if I could!

13. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

I can only go by my SE and Berkeley II combination, which works really well, with all the genres you mention. Hopefully someone will have some direct experience of your Sugden model with vintage Eatons or similar.

14. Sugarman

Sugarman Active Member

Seems I've been running these without the jumper cables in place, silly me, will have a proper listen tomorrow, but for now, the sound is certainly fuller!

15. Sugarman

Sugarman Active Member

Yep, sounding a fair bit better now.:D These 140s have downward firing ports, I currently have them - with spikes in of course - sat on the carpet. Just wondering whether there would be any effect on the sound it I sat them on stone slabs? (actually faux marble chopping boards).

16. Sugarman

Sugarman Active Member

Any advice on siting floorstanding speakers on carpets? As stated these have downward firing ports, would stone slabs under them be a good idea? I'll give it a go, just wondering on peoples experience with this.

Tarzan likes this.
  17. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

Cannot hurt to try, have had some success with paving slabs etc in the past.:)

18. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Paving slabs under speakers was the worst "upgrade" I ever tried! The effect was not subtle and completely killed the sound, with my then speakers and room of course. Made my KEF Ref 105/3's sound like a ghetto blaster!

19. piccadilly

piccadilly pfm Member

So I guess you already have a concrete floor?
    As I have a wooden floor (1st floor tenement) I use granite bases beneath my speaker stands.

20. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

It was in a previous home which had floorboards. Bass went down as if there were tone controls and set to max bass cut, dynamics also went.
    I'm sure results will vary hugely depending on the speaker, coupling of speaker to stone slabs, coupling of that to floor, type of floor etc etc.

piccadilly likes this.