advertisement

Thoughts on Harbeth vs Spendor Classic vs Graham vs...

That's why I'm surprised that larger BBC designs work so well in the mids. No horns, no directivity control, just a transition from an 8" mid to a 1" dome.

My guess is dispersion just doesn’t matter to their core demographic. These are serious listening tools, you set them up in a triangle from the listening seat and tune toe-in by ear. How they perform off axis in a family or party scenario is of no real concern to the people who buy them, be that BBC studio engineers in the ‘70s or high-end audiophiles right now.

The obsession with wide dispersion in the more measurement-centred area of audio just baffles me. I don’t get it. From a true audiophile perspective narrow dispersion just means you can get away with a slightly less well treated room. Wide dispersion has no advantage I am aware of outside say a cinema or PA scenario where a whole group of people may be listening in vastly different locations in the room.

My guess is dispersion just doesn’t matter to their core demographic. These are serious listening tools, you set them up in a triangle from the listening seat and tune toe-in by ear. How they perform off axis in a family or party scenario is of no real concern to the people who buy them, be that BBC studio engineers in the ‘70s or high-end audiophiles right now.

The obsession with wide dispersion in the more measurement-centred area of audio just baffles me. I don’t get it. From a true audiophile perspective narrow dispersion just means you can get away with a slightly less well treated room. Wide dispersion has no advantage I am aware of outside say a cinema or PA scenario where a whole group of people may be listening in vastly different locations in the room.

I'm not sure there is an "obsession with wide dispersion in the more measurement-centered area of audio". What I've seen over the past few decades is an obsession with consistent dispersion - the avoision* of sudden changes in dispersion, or holes in the power response.

Thing is, ultra-wide dispersion is just a natural trait for dome tweeters.

*it's a perfectly cromulent word

advertisement

Back