advertisement

Thorens TD2001 rebuild

flatpopely

Prog Rock/Moderator
I'm rebuilding a Thorens TD2001.

It was taken to a dealer who basically broke the suspension big time!
I have fitted the new parts and I am looking forwards to hearing it when the new belt arrives.
Not sure the LP12 is though............

The broken parts
y4mMVvoRNwSoD3hIhUr0WSIxcImOqMai7Fc4QuJixxo97lh8sbOlX9BDkncKTVtpoQRgZrK3_boDK_ksJi5avTYx0jxmPwpdlQnCjS1kYQViPdcNJsYWh9HHTtCfm4AkF6eK_IlQ7MgDR9Hl_qDD54UrSMKib3g_MRJgzYxYRAEH-K8wls3Ygwx6EDpFnKsnwo6NpaHLV3fatJ4hHkHZ9S0-Q

New bits
y4myLeqhtrtoFty-4tG16cdR0bqkAhvulRz0aJ31A_hwSIixI1NCoOqPe0YEr_TVo_-1rwEGH3KFAu-Mx_U8wMMd5msdO3kPSjuN_PNJuiW5wZQ_COpmlXg5t1HzOutAjw05T9lWS2KiVCIARK9t9GxmF61Rriqy-3aoy41BjVWLAoXslJkuUSVLCQ47jEI4qHP3de_3L9i3HjW27XfEZ8oMA

The deck feeling poorly
y4mTFgt9GiKn9aJcwYpVNp5L0Ni7VcHytxHS_OE9kgLxZsql1CSL31wAJ9TKX0KhAib1lBZWcYEEKMNqGtDWMttpvkcSGjPJg7RnXfq0fuQWIzomJzMX0rjCP6No4Rz9tNGWjgdxhWeja15AFAV-u3voymSnajMZlMXPSy6wg6bfrSJzemg9HRfX-7poyI4EN3K_Fu26lo9eVeaAjd2jScDAw

New suspension parts fitted
y4mBWpzEEaNgZU2OxMswgweZpW0z3x7RrNvC3poW01x6eaI27LtN1qAMzxcAxu_FI3r9Kr9Cublvh6AoLPicwpARa5kJ7Py5s1fmg3BapeNlKzbnfFGewXw78f9JtNXhmhy4-aBsr_hr7Zr7IdyIsFVenm9OhE2bEDYY0NybF3Zlenf9OEeO8xBSDg0Yc_nMvCs14pPNmFcu90LX2WtC4ITWA

Feeling a lot better!
y4m92sPFzjRPk9-YKxOhOUiZNhcCCmPvrkQMu4upd4Vvfy3MYx5Vgb5bnf5HMqg9632HS8fwEOPJz_D-s-sKClmFuiIIqsH4aJjIDKsYsKXphqGjkg7kebQMSFxYY_9cGbKEB41wZlLb55kXCwW_2SJgvbap7HRapZk7A1-n2UQlJR5uk2O12P0Tw8nC0W7HSKCyf1ygpvdHtqWpVP3i-D9sw

One I get the belt I'll have a listen v the LP12.

Hi Andrew,

Wow that’s a nice find I’ve not seen many of them.

As you know I have a Phonosophie No.3 with the same tonearm a TP90.

Just check that your TP90 is not tight or sounding like it grinding towards the centre platter spindle.
Around Christmas time last year I notice the tonearm wasn't tracking properly at the end of a record
and after removing it, it turn out to be a bearing issue in the arms pillar.

I currently have it in bits and can say they are a bu@@er to get them apart!!!:mad:
As there are so many different alloy’s used in the it making they have corroded together.

Sharif.

Hi Sharif.

It's not mine I'm afriad! It is in superb condition.
Will check the arm, does it suit MCs?

Andrew, any chance of a more distant underneath shot to show the whole thing, I’ve never seen one of thse leaf-spring Thorens in the flesh and I’m rather curious as to how the suspension works.

Hi Tony.

Here you go. The supension is perfectly pistonic and very fluid but resisits sideways movement very well, better than an LP12 I'd say.
I'll take some more pics when I get back to fettling it after the owner has sent me his cart.
y4mTjf6cwaiIulApd2otuqTqj02W3pHPzoC1Bb5Zi4XJoTH8WbOfOYJRZitxYtpvgxZzMDhFruejmaXEHlXxSVv_38fbAqIX5vhNDja7GuHPChwwRzQOqBmMkDPCAJDHdEj4jwS1jrlZjTvZwcin9c0al7lefKbwfaRaRQ9exd39665PCRb9BUoSUkzna3KO1z-dy0IILRnuUl6llOA2acqWw

I was just trying things out on this shot so the rubber washers are not fitted.
y4mvxmf7o05urJ-siJzDCEXU9EilPOIXpuH6XmviBfQISU6GdPtNq3xM9gPivFC1X7mNM8LhQk8Mmen0TdG7xbJI-0G7ZvYJ-VQDgmNSmuzREiaDD5RG2B8ThYpmRxggKC1EC5Jor3MUWVNfKPBMkSAWfXbEQ5j0JxqFM_dmxytZXZNPSmjDWnKedoOimfSTImPyl4lxY7cGPj39kPyo3EK3A

Hi Sharif.

It's not mine I'm afriad! It is in superb condition.
Will check the arm, does it suit MCs?

Yes the the arm has an effective mass of 17g I've used mine with a compliance in the range of 10 to 20 µm/mN.
The Linn asak (Supex version red dot on the front) and the Akiva B sounded very good.

I've tried a Linn K9 and a AT95E which also sounded good.

I did try several high compliance MM cartridges Ortofon Blue,Technics UPC205 MKIII and a Goldring G1022 they worked ok but I could not get rid of the end of side distortion.

I’ll be following this with interest. If I ever get another Thorens it will be one of these. Rumour has it the arm is the best Thorens ever managed, although fair to say they were never known for their arms.

I rather suspect it's going to give my LP12 a hard time.
I heard a Phonosophie P3, Sharifs, and I could qute happily have kept it!

If I had a TD2001, I'd be most curious about how the Naim built dedicated Phonosophie P3 PS worked/interfaced.

The owner dropped off a new motor and pulley just yesterday.
Will fit it and a Stilton AT-F5 this weekend.

Looking forward to hearing about it.

Kind of regret not getting the one on eBay but really don't need another deck.

Nice work. Informative pics - never seen leaf suspension before. Made me think I should really dig out that 125 from the attic and give it a good bothering!

Mine sounds great with an ATOC9ML. Very competitive with Cirkused Linn (LP12 better by a hair IMO) as is the TD160SmkV I bought from Germany years ago. The mkV wasn’t imported to UK and I’ve never seen one here in the US.

Andrew,

Just noticed this. Really interesting. I had no idea this TT even existed.

Is this Thorens using little wires to suspended the platter, these wires being linked to each of the major parts with leaf springs?

What's the design of the bearing?

How did it end up comparing to your LP12?

advertisement

Back