advertisement

Thorens TD160B Mk2

Hoopsontoast

pfm Member
While clearing out my Mother-In-Laws garage, we have found a selection of hifi equipment, including a Thorens TD160B Mk2, with what looks like a Mayware Formula arm.
I have just bought a Michell Tecnodec (could not find a Rega P7) to tide me over as I have a seperate longer term project planned for a Denon DP-3000 Unit along with an SME 3009 S2 (non-improved) that I have purchased to go with it.

I don't really know much about Thorens turntables but it looks in OK condition but possibly ripe for a nice new plinth, which looks like a popular upgrade and a nice little project.

The SME 3009 S2 looks to have been a period classic match for this turntable and I have seen that SME armboards are available for it too. I've never been too keen on unipivot arms, like the Michell Focus One I had years ago.

Other than possibly a new belt and springs, is there anything else to look out for? Its probably been sat wrapped up in a garage for 15 odd years.

You might be surprised with the springs being OK. My 1978 TD145 is still on original springs and belt. In use with me now but was left unused for quite a while in my mothers house, she rarely touched it. I rescued it and now use it because my Pink Triangle LPT has a blown power supply. My project to install a new power supply in an external box is going slowly. So the TD soldiers on, quite happily.

Cleaning and oiling the bearing/housing would probably be enough to get it up and running as long as the motor's good, then new belt and level and tune the suspension - shouldn't need new springs unless they're rusty, and even then they can be revived. @Del monaco recently revived a TD165: there's a thread on here somewhere.

The Mayware is a delicate thing and any abuse (like leaving it on the deck and transporting it about) could have damaged the bearing in the bottom of the pivot. They were intended to be run with a silicon gel in the bearing cup, but most people preferred it without, if it was used there will be a need to thoroughly remove it as it will have gone horribly stiff by now. If it is the later arm with the clear perpex bearing top, check for cracks as they can be over tightened. If its a fully working arm in good nick they work well.

If it has the heavy rubber mat, a felt one is better and will require the springs to be adjusted to suit the lower mass.

This is the one I enjoyed for quite a few years:

Thorens+Top+View.jpg

Easy enough to get spare parts if you need to. I restored a TD150 MkII last year. It was in good enough condition, but new springs, new belt, new armboard and a Jelco arm and it's now a truly great deck. They're classics for a reason.

I currently use a DL-103 on a Formula 4, and it sounds excellent! The Mayware is not fragile or delicate at all.

I know the Thorens well. I’ve had and used one for 40 years.
A new plinth is just cosmetics. I reverted to the original one some time ago and it’s perfectly adequate and finally nicer!
I fitted a Linn Valhalla PSU to it – an easy task – and it made the motor completely silent. I kept the original phase cap.

The Mayware is a delicate thing and any abuse (like leaving it on the deck and transporting it about) could have damaged the bearing in the bottom of the pivot. They were intended to be run with a silicon gel in the bearing cup, but most people preferred it without, if it was used there will be a need to thoroughly remove it as it will have gone horribly stiff by now. If it is the later arm with the clear perpex bearing top, check for cracks as they can be over tightened. If its a fully working arm in good nick they work well.

If it has the heavy rubber mat, a felt one is better and will require the springs to be adjusted to suit the lower mass.

This is the one I enjoyed for quite a few years:

Thorens+Top+View.jpg

Thanks, its the version with the clear perspex top of the arm.

A unipivot arm sounds lovely on this turntable. I used a Morch UP4 on mine for 35 years. You can easily tune the tt to "super" status by using the mods in the supplied link. Just make sure not to dampen the soul out of it.

The TD160 series responds well to a bit of TLC.

I picked up a TD160 Super with SME 3009 Series III arm last year and had great fun stripping and refurbishing. I put in new springs from Dave at Vinyl Nirvana and changed all the other consumables. I added an old Linn Valhalla PSU in an external enclosure and made up an umbilical like the ones found on early Lingo PSUs. I had to make a tiny daughter board to convert the On/Off Thorens switch into the momentary pulse expected by the Valhalla. With an MP500 in the arm it sounds great.

A couple of weeks ago I serviced a friend's very unused 1980's pre-Cirkus PL12 with a Valhalla, wearing an Alphason HR100MCS and Grace F9E, and had a chance to listen to them side by side. It's probably "proud dad" bias, but I preferred the presentation of the TD160, although I'm sure the very different arm/cartridge combinations had a big influence.

Looks to all be there and in really nice condition aside from the plinth (I’d be very tempted to pop it in a nice after-market wood one). The arm is very decent assuming it hasn’t taken any real knocks and the Ortofon cart (VMS20E, 30E or M25FL) is well worth trying on an old record, though will likely belly-flop as sadly the suspension doesn’t last well. The latter two were very good indeed. I’d be inclined to replace it with medium to high compliance MM. The arm will happily take the very best of them.

Looks like a VMS30E MkII cart there. A very nice cart if stylus not worn or damaged. Still have one or two of those myself. I was not impressed with the Mayware arm. I've had two... both came with TT's I'd bought. Both long gone. A very nice TT as well:)

Nice looking deck that. I’d have a go at polishing the plinth up, use a black sharpie on the bits where the underlying wood shows through, you won’t see any damage from a few paces away. Refresh the oil and maybe the belt, and give it a spin!

New plug installed and all running fine, a bit slow to start up spinning so I'll try a little talc on the belt, if that does not help then I'll grab a new one. Initial thought from one song is I'm not a fan of the unipivot design, as I had previously with the Michell Focus One, being more used to Rega and SME arms. I think I'll grab a new armboard and stick the 3009 S2 on there!

I went from a cold-sounding (neutral?) RB300 to the Formula – no regrets whatsoever.
But that’s on a Technics DD.
On the TD 160, after Linn and Rega tonearms I reverted to the original TP16. No regrets either.

I was not impressed with the Mayware arm.

Any impressions or opinions about Mayware vs Hadcock 228 on a 160 ?

I got a 160S with Mahagoni coloured plinth and a 228 on it lately
and my primal goal had been to steal the 228 for a 'original style' Lenco.

But the 160S looks so nice, it's a shame to rob it's arm w/o giving it an adequate replacement.

@Rosewind : the Moerch UP4 idea sounds great...I didn't know that's a fit from geometry pov,
or does it only fit with a new-geometry armboard..?

And which supplied tlc / mod link do you mean.. ? Thx !

advertisement

Back