advertisement

Thorens TD124 Top platter

Gerard124

pfm Member
What options are available for a new top platter for Thorens TD124?

So far I have spotted Schopper and Retrotone versions, big price difference between these two, are there any other suppliers?

Very different construction too, the Swissnor (sold by Schopper, not made by them) being very traditional in construction and virtually indistinguishable from a proper Thorens one, the Retrotone a heavier CNC machined from solid affair. I have the Swissonor one on mine which is certainly a lot flatter than my original, but if you have weapons-grade OCD still not 100%, and to be honest I’d expect it to be given it costs more than many turntables! Its good enough though, and as my aim was to restore rather than modify it is a decent substitute. I’d still love to find an absolutely flat original one though, but I suspect they all have just a little run-off due to the largely hand-made vintage construction techniques.

What is wrong with your stock one? Mine seems fine...but I still haven’t commissioned it after nearly 4 years of ownership!

Just that the stock platters have a reputation for being less than perfect and a bit of a weak spot quality wise compared to the rest of the 124

Very different construction too, the Swissnor (sold by Schopper, not made by them) being very traditional in construction and virtually indistinguishable from a proper Thorens one, the Retrotone a heavier CNC machined from solid affair. I have the Swissonor one on mine which is certainly a lot flatter than my original, but if you have weapons-grade OCD still not 100%, and to be honest I’d expect it to be given it costs more than many turntables! Its good enough though, and as my aim was to restore rather than modify it is a decent substitute. I’d still love to find an absolutely flat original one though, but I suspect they all have just a little run-off due to the largely hand-made vintage construction techniques.

Interesting, not on OCD grounds but on price alone I would expect nothing less than perfect from the Swissnor platter. I wonder what the heavier Cnc Retrotone brings to the party?

No idea, I’d love to hear one, but I’m not dropping £350 to do so!

PS If anyone wants to see a bent 124 top platter pity poor Ken Micallef! (his channel is a really good watch for jazz vinyl geeks):

advertisement

Back