advertisement

Thorens TD124 Restoration Manual?

rstloup

pfm Member
Hello all,

I have been graced by the good (or bad) fortune of a Thorens TD124 that fell into my arms for a price I could not turn down. I've long thought of a 124 as a way to reduce my two separate systems into one that could handle 78s and LPs well. I know there are various threads (ie. Tony's) outlining the restoration projects of a few members, but I was curious if there is a definitive manual or guide beyond the original one by Thorens? The deck has been lubed and checked by the seller's usual tech, but I will eventually want to install a new arm. I was told the belt should be changed soon as well as the motor damping rubber.

I am picking up the deck as part of a joint deal with a Stephens Tru-Sonic 206AX in an original Stephen's cabinet.

The TD-124 dept at AnalogDept is very good for general info and various restoration case histories. I learned a lot there before tackling my own turntables. Certainly far more approachable than my thread here which should really be viewed as a blog (certainly not a manual) as I get many things wrong and learn over its course. I’d recommend blue belt for sale elsewhere on pfm, quietest I’ve run on mine by some distance. The 124 has to be the easiest deck on the planet to swap arms on!

The TD-124 dept at AnalogDept is very good for general info and various restoration case histories. I learned a lot there before tackling my own turntables. Certainly far more approachable than my thread here which should really be viewed as a blog (certainly not a manual) as I get many things wrong and learn over its course. I’d recommend blue belt for sale elsewhere on pfm, quietest I’ve run on mine by some distance. The 124 has to be the easiest deck on the planet to swap arms on!

Thanks for the tip on the blue belt and also the link. I will hopefully post some photos when I have things up and running. It has an ESL S1000 on it currently. Will be using it with my mono set-up for now.

Thanks for the tip on the blue belt and also the link. I will hopefully post some photos when I have things up and running. It has an ESL S1000 on it currently. Will be using it with my mono set-up for now.
Always loved the name 'Electro-Sonic'.

'Electrolux' was another, sadly wasted on vacuum cleaners.

Looking forward to some photos.

Picked up the deck yesterday. Powered it on and it's running at the right speeds and quiet. Friend had his tech look + clean it over quickly, but nothing too in depth. The deck was installed in a console for the past 50+ years. The plinth it is on was from another 124 he had salvaged before. Will need to replace the power + rca cables soon, I think. Arm is in very good condition. The Stephens is also beautiful.

LxrCKfR.jpg

z9FFuTB.jpg

advertisement

Back