advertisement

Thorens TD 125 stock lid question

Very impressed with the Greygate plastic polish. I went from 600 grit> 1200> 2000> Halfords rubbing compound> AutoGlym SRP> Greygate and the lid doesn't look like a 40+ year old any more. I tried using Autosol metal polish after the rubbing compound, but couldn't polish all the smears out however much I tried. No such problems with the SRP. The final result isn't perfect, but it certainly looks good enough to me. I've also got the aluminium strips now, so when I have fitted those I'll put up some pics.

The dustbug mark is odd - it actually looks paler than the surrounding areas of the subchassis. Perhaps it's the rest that needs a good clean!

Awww excellent mate the Greygate polish is really good you get a nice finish, helped me out loads in the past. Look forward to hearing how your project turns out.

Just watch when using Greygate. I'd polished a few lids with no problem and then one lid went all cloudy and looked even worse than it had before I started! Greygate said the cover was probably not made of acrylic but from polycarbonate. Managed to recover it using Autosol but was in a panic that I had wrecked it.

The dustbug mark is odd - it actually looks paler than the surrounding areas of the subchassis. Perhaps it's the rest that needs a good clean!

Dustbug ‘marks’ other than glue-residue tend not to be anything more than the Dustbug protecting the surface from light and the rest of the paintwork darkening/lightening over time. As such you can not ever get them out, the only option is respraying. So many Garrard 301s and 401s have been ruined by the things!

Dustbug ‘marks’ other than glue-residue tend not to be anything more than the Dustbug protecting the surface from light and the rest of the paintwork darkening/lightening over time. As such you can not ever get them out, the only option is respraying. So many Garrard 301s and 401s have been ruined by the things!

Yes, I suspected that might be the case. Fortunately it’s only really noticeable in certain light from certain angles, and liveable with.

A slight hiatus on the lid repair front - I hope to get that finished tomorrow. So today I thought I'd spend a few hours putting a shine on the platter. The results are well worth the aching shoulder, I think!

Before...

29775920447_b9f389ee56_b.jpg

After...

31794035848_7c96879a16_b.jpg

The lid strengthening is complete, and again I'm really pleased with the way it has turned out. I didn't use glue to fix the aluminium to the lid as the Vinyl Engine poster did, but 3M 9088 double-sided sticky tape. It has a fearsome grip!

44767486575_91ebce8af2_c.jpg

44957021234_7bbd002410_c.jpg

44957025134_d4c3c9e639_c.jpg

What cracks? I don't remember seeing any cracks..! Now for a bit of TLC on the plinth, and it will be time to fit the 774...

Very neat.

I'd be interested to hear how it suits the Mission, too - I've long fancied one of those.

Perhaps it might be useful for someone searching in future if a mod could change ‘question’ to ‘repair’ in the thread title. Thanks.

Plinth oiled and waxed, arm fitted, up and running. It was over 30 years since I had put a record on a turntable.

Set up to the best of my limited ability, but still some serious tweaking needed as it hasn't yet kicked CD or streaming out of the park, despite the promises of my vinylhead friends. They will be encouraged to bring protractors, rulers, spikes and every other arcane instrument of the trade on future visits.

44284894890_917edf54c3_b.jpg

Looking good. I don't actually know how much there is to tweak on a 125, beyond getting everything level with a pistonic bounce, and playing around with mats and belts. Maybe things just need to settle a bit. TBF digital's very good these days and even as a record person myself I prefer it overall to my 125.

I dunno, I have had 125s and they better a £1000 CD player. As they should, a 125 made today would be a £1000 deck, and the Goldring on mine (and it looks like this one) is a 1042 costing £200+.

A Garrard 401 is of course better again. As it should be, blah blah. But a 125 is every inch of good enough.

I also own a TD125 and I sold Leigh his CD player. I also still have the same model CD player as him.

Both are superb machines capable of making great music. Sometimes I prefer the TD125 on a really great pressing but most of the time I find the CDP every bit as good or even slightly better.

It's worth stressing that Leigh's CDP is superb and actually will knock the vast majority of CDPs 'out of the park'.

A Garrard 401 is of course better again. As it should be, blah blah. But a 125 is every inch of good enough.

I couldn't agree more with the second statement but I'm not sure about the first. I suppose it's just a matter of taste.

advertisement

Back