advertisement

Thorens TD-124 Replacement Motor

halvis

pfm Member
I have been asked by a friend if I can source the above. I don't know much about them really, not even sure if replacements exist. Would a rebuild be more realistic?

I think the current motor burnt out, the owner left it running by accident for days apparently and came back to a non working unit that looks very black.

Any guidance much appreciated, thanks.

A replacement E50 motor will be very expensive as the only way to obtain one is to kill another TD-124 (or related) deck. They are however fairly simple things so the first thing to do is to strip it down, clean it, and see exactly what has happened. As long as the rotor has survived the coils and bearings can be replaced. Audio Silente make replacements for both, e.g. coils, bushings.

PS A good condition well serviced TD-124 shouldn’t be worried at all by long running. They were designed for both home and broadcast use. Some modern “audiophile” plinths however are designed by people who don’t understand even the most basic concepts such as ventilation and box the motor in without any airflow, which may be the root cause here. Regardless, if the rotor isn’t trashed it can be brought back.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
With the Thorens commutator circuit including the bulb and socket plus switch/switch suppressor in circuit with the 33k resistor, voltage setting pin, and the motor coils, arching at any of these components could easily be responsible for motor coil burnout. 'looks very black' does sound like the result of some sustained over-voltage. Perhaps the motor simply seized and got hotter and hotter over the course of the days. Regardless, suggets having a look at the 3k3 resistor, as well as making certain that all connections are clean and tight (including the bulb socket), before re-installing the (presumed to be by then) renewed motor.

Here is a well turned out circuit diagram from user510 (aka Steve) from another site (possibly not the only colour coding, though)...

TD124%20voltage%20map.jpg

Last edited:
Hanze HiFi's unserviced vs. serviced motor video entitled "What to do when you receive your Thorens TD124" is certainly telling...

I like Jaap at Hanze, he’s a decent bloke and certainly knows his stuff, but he is actively selling very expensive boutique restoration services. I’d counter, at least to a degree, that none of this is complex, it is just basic mechanical engineering, and the only Thorens TD-124 experts that exist in the world today are entirely self-appointed. Do not fear taking your own path. I am very happy I did so as I learned a lot and ended up with a truly beautiful turntable where I know every bolt and washer on a first name basis. There is nothing in a TD-124 that confuses or frightens me.

PS I wholeheartedly recommend Jaap’s belts, they are the best I’ve tried by far. I actually bought another three or four just before the Brexit tax bullshit deadline! I use his springs too.

Thanks all, I have passed the info on. Luckily he is quite handy, so the info above will give him a good head start.

FWIW everything I know about the TD-124 is documented in my restoration thread. It is a very long thread that covers a decade or so and needs to be viewed very much as a learning curve. I made a lot of mistakes which proved costly. My biggest error was thinking buying an expensive boutique belt meant the noise from the deck was from other sources. It wasn’t, the belt was just crap, as most modern ones are. The upshot is I ended up doing far more than I needed to, e.g. I suspect I didn’t need to replace all the bronze bushings etc, but I’m glad I did as it is all done now and I learned as I went. I also got sucked into the whole boutique high-end thing and spent a lot of money on stuff I ultimately didn’t need and which to my mind was overpriced and arguably not as well made as original Thorens parts. As such anyone approaching that thread should really either commit to reading the whole thing before touching their deck, or start it at the end and read it backwards! I don’t regret anything as I’ve ended up where I want to be and with a real in-depth knowledge of the deck’s engineering, but I’d certainly not advise anyone to follow my path step by step! It does detail the motor strip-down several times though.

PS I would certainly recommend the Audio Silente sintered motor bushings linked above. They are excellent and it is safe to assume the originals will be shot given this motor sounds like it has run dry. I just hope the rotor has survived in a serviceable condition. That is the key component here.

advertisement

Back