advertisement

Thorens TD-124/II restoration / upgrade

Just a very quick update to this thread as I have a new favourite belt! It is from Hanze (link). It seems very nicely made, wider and thinner cross-section than anything I sourced from TurntableBasics and better quality too, and whilst it is initially tighter than I would like, after a good time on the deck (it has been on best part of a year now I think) it is running very quietly and reliably. I bet it would be amazing on the 60Hz pulley. It is good enough that I've stopped hunting and will just buy another as a spare (hopefully the one on will just get better and better as it stretches).

There is a pretty decent 'Thorens TD-124 Friends' Facebook group. Well worth joining if already a Facebook member. It is the mix of owners and professional restorers, parts makers etc one would probably expect and as it grows will likely build into a very useful resource.

Just a very quick update to this thread as I have a new favourite belt! It is from Hanze (link).

Can I ask, Tony, if you have tried the belt from Audio Silente to know how it might compare to the Hanze one you've linked to? I got one from Audio Silente which I have yet to fit (along with a motor rebuild kit which I am trying to pluck up courage to install) but wonder if the Hanze one may be better. I was looking at their motor decoupling springs already, so if it turns out that the springs worth getting then I could add a belt in to the order as well.

No, I didn't realise Audio Silente even made a belt to be honest! I have been very happy with the other Audio Silente parts I've bought (sintered bushings, screws, bolts and mushrooms), so I'd expect it to be pretty good.

Please report back on the Audio Silente belt. For me the Hanze one was pretty quiet from the off and now it has been on the deck for a good while seems to have settled down nicely. It is the best option I have found and I suspect as it stretches with use it will just get better and better. It doesn't seem to shed which is a good thing and being thin in profile needs a little less eddy-current brake compared to the Turntable Basics ones I was experimenting with. I just wish it was a cm or so longer and there were two available, one for 50Hz and be for 60Hz as I am utterly convinced each setting has a different ideal length.

Thanks for the reply, Tony, I'll be sure to report back as and when I get the motor bushing kit installed. I'll try out the new belt then.

Interesting review by Art Dudley of the Swissonor TA10 in this month’s Stereophile.

It’s given me an itch to own a TD-124, so have been browsing eBay and other sites. Found an interesting looking one for sale locally (s/n 12699). The asking price is $2250. Here’s what the seller says:

1. Warms up slowly, then runs well.
2. Corian tonearm board.
3. Shure SME fixed head tonearm.
4. Original tonearm board and tonearm.
5. Not sure of the cartridge make and model.
6. Handmade Redwood Plinth.
7. Micro Seiki Microsorber shock absorber feet for plinth.
8. Mushrooms replaced last year.
9. Owned for over 35 years.

Would appreciate any feedback/advice. Here’s the link:

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ele/d/vintage-thorens-td-124/6344686122.html

Thanks!

Looks pretty decent. The ‘spare’ arm is an Ortofon and very good if in good condition, i.e. worth getting fixed up. It will take an SPU well.

The slow start and run-up to speed implies it needs a proper motor strip and service, once done they tend to do the reverse abd start a little fast and hit the right speed when hot.

The cartridge looks like a Shure, maybe a M95 or 97. The Micro Seiki feet have little application in this context and would look daft, but will sell for $100 or so, so well worth grabbing.

I’d ask for a look at the main flywheel platter, if it is green it is the cast iron one, if grey it is the lighter alloy one. The former is way better but does limit cartridge choice a little, e.g. rules Deccas out and some very strong magnet MCs.

Check yourself or ask for absolute assurance that the thin alloy top platter is flat or very close to it. They are easily bent and all but impossible to flatten, and very expensive to replace.

Some early Mk Is have a different and arguably better/quieter step-pulley bearing, pkus there is more chance of it having the better heavy iron platter. The motor mounts can be improved third party. I think the Mk I has a slightly lower power motor too, but that shouldn’t be considered a disadvantage. I’d love a genuinely mint Mk I as I prefer the look to the II!

It’s more a cream/yellow/beige colour. I think the control plate and knobs are a little nicer too. Far more subtle change than the 301/401, but still very noticeable. I love both to be honest and I have owned a Mk I.

Yes, I love and have owned both previously also.
I just wish I’d been aware of the superiority of the mk1’s iron platter before flogging
It for the magnificent price of £40. Mind you it was more years ago than I can remember and
My mk2 seems to work just fine in the over 40 years
of ownership.

The iron platters are still out there, I think I paid under £100 for mine delivered. Keep an eye on ebay.de and ebay.fr as they often turn up there. Definitely worth doing IMO assuming you aren’t running a cart with a huge magnet. Just quieter, more solid and dynamic than the alloy.

Thanks for that Tony, I often look on Ebay but never think to go outside the UK,
And of course, should you happen to come across one, I’d be all ears. Us td124ers
have to look after each other of course!

Met the TD-124 seller today, and we agreed on $1600 as the price (which also included a second, unused and unadvertised redwood plinth).

Appreciate the information and advice here on PFM. This allowed me to conduct a knowledgeable negotiation, and come away with what I considered to be a very fair deal.

Still deciding on whether to restore and/or resell the tonearms and plinths. The SME 3009 Series II Improved FHS seems to have limited cart options, and the original Ortofon arm (I think it is an RMG-212) has no anti-skate mechanism. Am leaning towards a more modern arm, but we’ll see. My first decision is who to contract for turntable refurbishing. Would love to take a shot at DIY, but don’t have the time or skills. Have read good things about both Jim Campbell in Pennsylvania (jec965 on eBay), and Thorens Pros (formerly STS) in Nashville, Tennessee, so probably one of those two.

The TD-124 is a lovely looking thing, and I do fancy returning it to a traditional beige and black theme. Hopefully this is the start of a long, beautiful friendship!

Am sending my TD-124 to Greg Metz at Thorens Pros for restoration. He confirmed Tony's opinion of the original Ortofon RMG-212 tonearm, and will also be restoring that for me. Here is his web site and Facebook page. Both show many examples of his work.

https://www.facebook.com/classicthorens/
http://www.classicthorens.com

Greg will also supply me with a new, black Ortofon-syle plinth and arm board which he sources from Austria. He plans to send me lots of pictures of the restoration process. If there is any interest, I will post some of them.

advertisement

Back