advertisement

Thorens pic of the day

user510

pfm Member
DSC_4968.JPG

Here is a project recently completed. Presently I'm making some fine tuning, but essentially the tt is done.

more details on the project here:
http://www.theanalogdept.com/79209.htm

It is a Thorens TD150 mkII, with some mods...:cool:

-Steve

I saw that pic the other day, it looks fantastic. Very good indeed. I like the TD150, it's an unsung hero IMO. I prefer it to the 125, yes, I know this is heresy.

Ah, the TDW224. One of these days, I'd love to have one of these.
Looking at the interior bones, gears, wheels it just seems that an engineering project like this was well within Thorens' design capabilities. They were a company that started out by producing wind up music boxes and who then made various spring motors as oem for other manufacturers. There were wind-up shavers, the famous Camera Box portable 78 player, wind-up of course. It is best not to neglect that Thorens adapted to electric models very early on, and even produced a direct drive model. But my point is; a company that had expertise in getting automatic function by using cams, gears, wheels, cranks and springs would quite naturally produce a record changer as innovative and complex as is this one. I love it.

-Steve

Steve, not knowing anything about such matters and having the 224 literally fall in my lap I am astonished at the fact that when Lindsay and myself checked it out at my home the mechanical auto-changer worked perfectly first time as I am informed that there are so many levers etc., in the thing that if they are damaged or rusty it is beyond hope.

There does not appear to be a spot of rust on mine.

When I took my 301 down to Martin Bastin he mentioned to me when we spoke about the 224 that he had once been asked to replace one such lever in the 224 and how difficult it can be to work on such complicated piece of engineering if it goes wrong which makes me wonder how many might still be working in the world bearing in mind the fact that there were only ever 4000 made!

It would be fun to get it up and running and playing in the garden as it is well protected by the wooden box.

http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/td124page.html

I imagine you know about this above link. I just bring it up because of a brief story Rudolf Bruil relates about his time in Paris, a Jazz Club called "Le Crocodile" and a TD224 that was changing records.....presumably while the bartender and waitress' were serving customers. I wish I could time travel back to that club for a night...

-Steve

DSC_4968.JPG

Here is a project recently completed. Presently I'm making some fine tuning, but essentially the tt is done.

It is a Thorens TD150 mkII, with some mods...:cool:

-Steve

No it isn't, it is in actual fact the most "want me" example of a Thorens I have ever seen..."A thing of real class and understated Beauty if ever I saw one!"..Well Done...:)

advertisement

Back