advertisement

Thorens 124

JMP

Hi,
to follow up on Tony L. advice, I am starting a Thorens TD 124 thread.

I have my 124 (a MK1 from around 1962) for about 3 years now.
It was in fact given to me by my former dealer (yes, he even gave me two of them! :) ) who actually bought it new himself.

When I got it, the Thorens was sitting on its original flimsy plint and was equipped with an Ortofon RG 212 (?) tonearm, and a non-descript MM cart that had seen better days.
Sadly, the original Ortofon SPU was long gone....

Anyway, the TT was running when switching on power, so I hooked it up to my Naims to see what she was like.

First I must say that I love old things and collect old records. I was already looking the net, ebay and other sites to gather infos about the 124 as I found these absolutely beautiful.
I had at the time a Rega Planar 3 (that replaced my old trusty Thorens 166 that I was using since 1984), but was not very happy with it.

So, I put on an old "test" record on the 124 (laying on the floor...) and I must admit I didn't expect so much of that old record player at first sight. The sound coming from the speakers, whilst obviously not as "defined" by modern standards, had a beguiling and addictive charm about it. I even listened to the whole LP (a Count Basie if my memory serves me right), and more that night!

To cut a long story short, after gathering much infos, I put back the TT in good working order, sat it on a home-made heavy plinth (I didn't used the rubber mushrooms, but put wood pieces instead
and bolted very firmly the TT from underneath).
First arm I tried was the Planar's RB300. From then on, the 124 simply replaced the Planar.

Second arm I tried was a Linn Ittok LVII, lifted from the LP12 I had purchased meantime.
(I never really got on the LP12 sound by the way...).
I found this better than the Rega arm.

Finally, I purchased a S/H Aro, put it on, (sold the LP12 :eek: ), and since then, never looked back.

124s, like Garrards, shall be set in heavy plinth to cancel motor noises.
Much has been said already on the differences between the two, I can't comment myself, as I've never heard a 301 or 401 myself, but would be very interested in doing so.

Anyway, my 124 now sounds mucho good, she's now sitting on a Mana wall shelf. She has good Prat and a solidity in the bass that I've not found with the LP12, medium is to-dye-for. She's always great fun to listen to. Well, I love it!

There's still some upgrades to investigate: an external PSU, trying some other plinths and I've seen that Schopper in Switzerland are offering a new non-magnetic platter that looks quite good (I'm planning a trip there, it's only 3 hours drive from home, to see and hear what it's like).

Jean-Marc

Originally posted by JMP
She has good Prat and a solidity in the bass that I've not found with the LP12
Jean-Marc, I think your LP12 had a problem, because prat and a solidity in the bass are it's main attributes! Nice review though.

Originally posted by grivois
Jean-Marc, I think your LP12 had a problem, because prat and a solidity in the bass are it's main attributes! Nice review though.

Then, you have to sample the delights of a good idler wheel TT ;)

For me, LP12 makes a lot of bass, especially the pre-Cirkus ones, but it's definitively not as "solid" (best term I can find in my limited English) as the 124. Ditto prat. Whatever is been said about the LP12, I do think ye olde TD150/Ariston design the LP12 is based on, has some flaws re speed stability.
Now, let's talk about the 124 and/or Garrards, I absolutely do not want to restart a LP12 war!!!!! :)

JM

PS: my system is CDS2/52/135/on Fraim/IBLs

Jean-Marc,

You should get in touch with me if you have some time in the city of light, you can hear my 401. The TD 124 is reputed to have more finisse than the 401, and the 401 to be solidity king.

I believe that what you really mean in your prior note is that the TD124 has better pitch stability than an LP12. But since this is supposed to be about The TD124, we wont dwell on that :)

cheers

Peter

Well, this thread is a nice complement to a recent one about Quad ESL 57. One could obviously get a still VERY good sounding system 40 years ago! And then just add the very good LP:s made in those days...

So the system might then be something like:

- Thorens 124, Ortofon arm an that lovely SPU plus Ortofon step up transformer. Or maybe an AR deck?
- Quad amps.
- ESL 57.
- Revox G36 real-to-real.

Put on an early Decca stereo LP or maybe Beach Boys second album, finish of the session with a pre recorded real-to-real tape...

JohanR

advertisement

Back