advertisement

Thorens 124 Noise

audiogoose

pfm Member
Just wanting to know how much noise is normal during operation of a Thorens TD 124.
When I first turn it on, it is almost dead quiet. With about 10 to 15 minutes of operation, I begin to hear a whirring sound of the belt on the pulley. Is this usual?
The speed takes about 30 minutes to stablilize, but will need slight adjustments every half hour, or so. Does anyone else deal with similar speed problems.
I have taken it all apart and lubricated everything. It sounds great when the speed is correct.
j_giesting.htm

Audiogoose,

mine takes about 15-20 min to get on speed. Once on speed, you can let in run all day long without having to touch the knob, if not for the slight 50hz (or 60Hz in the USA) drift.

When running, there is just a very very slight noice coming from the idler wheel, noticable when you approach your ear close to the platter. In "change of record" position, I hardly can't hear anything.

Be sure to lub correctly every moving part.
I use some heavy weight black motor oil for the bearing and conventional 3-in-1 for the rest.

Have you dismantled the motor for cleaning and lubbing it?
Putting a new belt have also greatly enhanced low noise and speed stability on mine.

Hope this helps
Jean-Marc

PS: while it sounds very good, I have also noticed that the sound "opens" after playing 2 or 3 sides (about say 45 min). Must be the time for the whole machine to warm up completely?

Originally posted by audiogoose
I may have to clean and lube the motor. Is that very difficult to do?

No, first you remove the motor from the 3 rubber suspension and then it can be opened easily by unscrewing the 4 screws in each corner of the motor, from underside.
Be careful NOT TO LOOSE the BALL BEARING when opening the motor!!! Clean everything, you may also put some grease on the ball bearing side.

Those motors are of agricultural grade if you permit :) and a good cleaning and lubbing bring them back to working condition.

I once had a 124 (Mk2) which has been stored in a garage from 20 years. When I got it, the motor won't turn, it was all stuck with hardened grease! This 124 is now the posession of my brother and runs daily without problems :D

Cheers
Jean-Marc

you can also mail me privately if you wish at
jean.marc.pezet at libertysurf dot fr

[Once the motor is cleaned, which parts do you lubricate?
And what type of lubricant did you use?
Thanks

Basically the spindle and the ball bearing.
I did put light 3in1 oil and some grease at the ball bearing side to keep it lubricated as oil tends to go away through the holes.

When re-assembled, turn the spindle by hand, it shall turn freely and shall not make any noise at all.

Lub also the fly wheel spindle and idler wheel spindle, and every moving part.

JM

I don't know if this is the right thing to do or not, but I was once told that an application of French Chalk to the belt and the idler completely silenced mechanical noise and increased their ability to grip.

advertisement

Back