advertisement

Thomas Cook

Totally different from perhaps 30 companies I deal with. Even amazon pays up after 2 weeks. I think they are the slowest. Mostly the big companies make me pay in advance for their stuff and pay me a bit late for my stuff. But nobody pays me 6-8 weeks after they got my products or the money for my products and I never pay anyone later than 30 days. I only get 30 days credit from other SMEs and couriers, never from any of the other corporates I work with.

So there you go, Bob. It is and can be different.

Support SMEs. Bollocks to the corporates. Using your muscle to force a longer line of credit than 30 days is unethical for something like a holiday.

Well lucky you cos it’s a major problem for the FSB

https://www.fsb.org.uk/docs/default-source/fsb-org-uk/fsb-late-payments-2016-(final).pdf?sfvrsn=1

This is really a required way nowadays for anything online, also never use Paypal to buy goods from any online retailer unless you want to kiss goodbye to section 75 protection.

And not just PayPal, it’s any third party transaction with an agent between buyer and supplier.

Reactions: AV8
If you know of anyone who is involved best warn them that Scammers are already phoning people to offer them a Thomas Cook refund and all they need is the last 4 digits of their bank card as well as the pin number :mad::mad::mad:

The employees of the company interviewed on TV come across as a very decent bunch! Thomas Cook had a great workforce, ultimately let down by princes at the top running the business into the ground while they skimmed off millions for themselves.

This is a bit of an eye opener: "Just 1% of English residents are responsible for nearly a fifth of all flights abroad, according to previously unpublished statistics." Furthermore 10% of the most frequent flyers took more than half of all flights abroad in 2018.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ke-one-fifth-of-overseas-flights-survey-shows

Yes I saw something about that earlier this week. I am not that surprised, when I sat down and thought about corporate travel - for example I used to take about 50 (sometimes more) flights per year for work, and then may 8 per year for leisure. This went on for a period of around 11 years, when I knocked the work flights on the head. FOr leisure we have holidayed in the UK for all our breaks for the last 3 years.

Personally, I think a frequent flyer tax would be a great way of getting corporates to think about their actions. My wife's company has drastically cut flights to mainline Europe. Been replaced by VCs and sometime Eurostar if in the right locations. This was not done on the grounds of emissions, but on the grounds of more family friendly working practices (as instigated by my wife). But it has saved them 1000s, enhanced productivity, enhanced comms across europe, and resulted in a happier workforce.

I have never travelled in an aircraft for business.

Since January 2017 I have however travelled 17 times by air for leisure purposes.

I have no intention of stopping anytime soon.

There was a VERY interesting interview with a previous chairman (??) of TC on R4 this evening, around 5.30, the gent who was responsible for "don't just book it...…", back in the day.
He went in to great detail about the finances and where he would say that they went t's-up. In short, poor judgement around 10 years ago and poor accounting practices since that did not try to correct that error.

I have never travelled in an aircraft for business.

Since January 2017 I have however travelled 17 times by air for leisure purposes.

I have no intention of stopping anytime soon.

You need too. Once a decade might be remotely acceptable. If you have children or nephews and nieces, then you should consider your famial responsibility.

If not you should consider your responsibilities to human-kind and in reality to the rest of the natural environment.

Flying for pleasure should become as unacceptable as driving while drunk.

Socially unacceptable.

Best wishes from George

Last edited:
Well said sir.

I quite agree. (although I think you maybe meant Driving whilst drunk ?)

We live in Central Bedfordshire. Luton airport , which is owned by Luton Borough Council, have been expanding their operations to such an extent that we now have an aeroplane coming in from "Eastern Europe" every 2 minutes at 5000 ft above our heads. From 6am. They're at war with Central Beds Council over various housing planning proposals and have recently changed flight paths to annoy everyone that lives here.

Expanding the Empire. Good for some. Bad for others.

PS We could fly to Riga and back for the weekend for £50 if we wanted but that's just not on.

You need too. Once a decade might be remotely acceptable. If you have children or nephews and nieces, then you should consider your famial responsibility.

If not you should consider your responsibilities to human-kind and in reality to the rest of the natural environment.

Flying for pleasure should become as unacceptable as drinking while drunk.

Socially unacceptable.

Best wishes from George

Sod off George.

Don’t tell me what to do.

If you are that bothered turn your lap top off permanently.

The IT industry has a carbon footprint the same size as the entire airline industry

https://www.independent.co.uk/envir...e-global-warming-servers-centre-a8968296.html

Best wishes from Bob

Aeroplanes don't contribute to Global Warming? The Ozone layer isn't thinning because of it?

Wow. That's good then. Those vapour trails they leave in the sky are a good thing. Awesome.

I fly once a year to the UK to see my parents, at 10,000km surface transport is not an option.
Otherwise I avoid flying as I hate the airport experience.

Grant Shapps can’t even write an original statement now. He copied the one by Grayling when Monarch collapsed almost word for word.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49836563
Standing on the shoulders giants again? It’s down to the civil servants to produce lines- a naughty boy or girl has just pulled it from the files, done a swift edit on their laptop and dropped their Minister right in it. Someone will get their wrist slapped.

advertisement

Back