advertisement

This more than quite good. Bach.

In a more historic style this is also more than quite good:

Isn't the Double concerto one of the best pieces of music?

ATB from George

In a more historic style this is also more than quite good:

Isn't the Double concerto one of the best pieces of music?

ATB from George

When I was teenager and did the regular things (having issues on school, stopped playing the organ (but I came back)) one of the remaining things I kept doing was listening to some Brandenburg Concertos and Violin Concertos - especially the middle part of this violin concerto. It took a few years more when I started playing the organ again.

I do remember this piece also from when I was 5 or 6 and my parents took me on holiday to Switzerland. Also, they had Mozarts Symphony 35 'Haffner' by the Berlin Philharmoniker and Albinioni's Adagio in the car. O wait, I should not forget Pachelbels canon.

Fifth Brandenburg Concerto:

ATB from George

Very nice. Brandenburg 5 was a historic moment, when the harpsichord, traditionally a continuo instrument, stepped into the limelight for a solo. This one is nicely paced (there is the tendency to make it very "virtuoso" by playing it very fast).

My intoduction to Bach was the Menuhin version with the Bath Festival Orchestra. I haven’t listened to it for 40 years or more.

The first version I bought was the Virtuosi of England on two Classics for Pleasure LPs. I still have the LPs and also have it on a double CD coupled with the violin concertos.

I must get to Leipzig some time. As a non-religious person it’s the nearest I’ll come to a pilgrimage.

On Monday I heard Richard Egarr play the 6th keyboard partita in London. Before the performance he talked about how there are ideas embedded in the score, crosses made of musical notes, musical images of Christ stumbling, all sorts of strange numerological things pop up when you count things. Above all he talked about the bitterness, the angry bitterness, of the gigue.

In short he thinks that this piece of music is inspired by the passion.

Listening to him perform, I thought he could well be right

... was listening to some Brandenburg Concertos and Violin Concertos - especially the middle part of this violin concerto.

This was the first of the Concertos other than the Brandenburgs that I discovered from Bach in my early twenties from a live concert broadcast. You can imagine the voyage of discovery I was making at the time!

Nowadays my favourite performance of it is the one done by Elizabeth Walfisch [with a very fine second soloist] and the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment.

My first LP of the three standard Violin Concertos was by Menuhin with the Bath Festival Orchestra. I also had their recording of the Brandenburgs as my first, though since then I have got the sets by HM Linde, Adolf Busch, Mogens Woldike, and August Wenzinger.

I have couple of others in large collections, but the ones listed I find are superb in their varied ways!

ATB from George

advertisement

Back