advertisement

This is Spinal Tap

I read an article many years ago explaining the origins of some of the scenes. There was a wonderful photo of (I think) Bill Nelson trapped in a tube filled with dry ice that had failed to rise on cue.

IIRC, the story was that for the "Sunburst Finish" tour each member of Be Bop Deluxe stood in a glass tube which raised to let them out at the start of the concert. Over the tour the tubes broke so they ended up with one tube with all four packed into it and, funny old thing, it didn't work, trapping them in it and requiring the roadies to get them out.

MS0zNjQ0LmpwZWc.jpeg

The cucumber scene was based on an incident with Saxon, the bass player of which was the basis of Derek Smalls.

I may be the only one here who doesn’t find it funny.

I tried to watch it again last year (it is on Amazon) and managed about a third of it.

Heigh Ho

I may be the only one here who doesn’t find it funny.

I tried to watch it again last year (it is on Amazon) and managed about a third of it.

Heigh Ho
Don’t worry about it, I know I’m in a minority of one when I raise my eyes to the skies every time someone quotes Morecambe and Wise!

There's a 2 disc version of the film, with a shedload of outtakes; all of which are good enough to be in the main film - highly recommended if you can find it.

One of my favourites. Got ‘two disc’ and ‘three disc’ DVD versions, and the ‘Greatest Hits’ CD somewhere in the bowels of the old study. Must look them out.

There are so many quotes from this that I use in my professional life. 'Thin line between clever and stupid' especially.

Don’t worry about it, I know I’m in a minority of one when I raise my eyes to the skies every time someone quotes Morecambe and Wise!

No worries, more like a scraggy ripped tour t-shirt worn with pride.

I will keep it with my dislike of football, cricket and other regular man stuff.

I’m easily amused, so I like Spinal Tap and Withnail & I and Morecambe and Wise. The stuff I can’t be doing with comedy-wise is Jacques Tati, Mr Bean and Jim Carrey.

I’m easily amused, so I like Spinal Tap and Withnail & I and Morecambe and Wise. The stuff I can’t be doing with comedy-wise is Jacques Tati, Mr Bean and Jim Carrey.
But you’re a doctor, and thus a clever bugger who probably laughs uproariously at Shakespearean jokes and puns in ancient Greek.

Well, not laugh uproariously at Shakespeare, maybe, but I remember when my younger brother suddenly realised the irony in the ‘friends, Romans and countrymen’ speech at age 14 or so. As for Greek, I am in the same position as Shakespeare himself.

Even as a nipper I wasn’t much for ‘visual’ humour. I thought Mr Pastry was just annoying, and as for circus clowns …

I read an article many years ago explaining the origins of some of the scenes. There was a wonderful photo of (I think) Bill Nelson trapped in a tube filled with dry ice that had failed to rise on cue. And I believe it was Deep Purple whose set designer had a scale malfunction, resulting in props that they couldn’t fit into the hall they were playing.

I read somewhere that the writers went on tour with NWOBHM denim gods Saxon when researching the film and I've just spotted that two members of the band have jointly published their memoirs under the splendid title 'Saxon Drugs & Rock n' Roll : The Real Spinal Tap' :)

I read somewhere that the writers went on tour with NWOBHM denim gods Saxon when researching the film and I've just spotted that two members of the band have jointly published their memoirs under the splendid title 'Saxon Drugs & Rock n' Roll : The Real Spinal Tap' :)
Harry Shearer said that Saxon’s bassist showed him why it is important to play a lot of open strings - it means you have a free hand with which to punch the air.

A timely exclusive from Thursday. Spinal Tap II https://deadline.com/2022/05/spinal...istopher-guest-harry-shearer-back-1235022317/

Deadline caught up with Reiner, and here is how he described the ambition: “The plan is to do a sequel that comes out on the 40th anniversary of the original film and I can tell you hardly a day goes by without someone saying, why don’t you do another one? For so many years, we said, ‘nah.’ It wasn’t until we came up with the right idea how to do this. You don’t want to just do it, to do it. You want to honor the first one and push it a little further with the story.”

advertisement

Back