advertisement

This is Spinal Tap

There's a 2 disc version of the film, with a shedload of outtakes; all of which are good enough to be in the main film - highly recommended if you can find it.

I feel privileged to have watched it a long time ago without realising it was a spoof beforehand. I genuinely thought it was an actual documentary and watched it as such open mouthed at what unfolded. I think I did twig eventually but it really had me in stitches. Not unlike the Bros fly on the wall which equally could have been a wind up.

Also, I see there's a sequel coming out - *fingers crossed* it's good.
I can still chuckle at Spinal Tap. In my mind it doesn't seem so long ago since it was released, so I was amazed to discover the actor who plays Jimmy's brother Chuck in “Better Call Saul” is David St. Hubbins!

I still remember one quiet Sunday when I was ‘supervising’ weekend maintenance shortly after the film’s release on VHS. Several of us were watching, then another of the tech team strolled by, saw us and came into the room. He looked on as Nigel took us through his guitar collection and on to his amps. When it was finally explained that this one went up to eleven he sneered loudly “What a tw*t!!!”

I was hanging around/working in a rehearsal/recording studio around the time Spinal Tap hit VHS and it attained legendary status with my crowd immediately. I could recite pretty much the whole script at one point. I’ve known so many bands it applied to. Just so funny/accurate. I’ll watch it again tonight.

So many great lines, too many to mention alright just one 'we're playing the Enormodome'

Nigel Tufnels girlfriend give me the creeps!

Strangely enough, I was just thinking about Spinal Tap this week. It's a film I've never seen.

Thanks for the heads-up.

I read an article many years ago explaining the origins of some of the scenes. There was a wonderful photo of (I think) Bill Nelson trapped in a tube filled with dry ice that had failed to rise on cue. And I believe it was Deep Purple whose set designer had a scale malfunction, resulting in props that they couldn’t fit into the hall they were playing.

advertisement

Back