advertisement

Thinking of getting some new speakers.

Jimbobbyron

pfm Member
Hoping for some good suggestions for new speakers. Budget around £1000 for new or used.
I am currently using Castle Chester mk2 speakers ( they still look good after 23 years with them )
They have served me well but think it is possibly time to change them.
I like the idea of stand-mounts but would not mind floor standers. I am after a bigger soundstage and something that does not scream when pushed (my Chesters tend to do this when I turn up the volume)
I am using a Nottingham space-deck and space-arm (rewired by Audio Origami) Dynavector dv20x2 low output. Dynavector P75. Meridian 200 transport. And a Hegel H360 with Mark Grant cables.
Many thanks in advance.

why possibly time to change them? do you have itch-itus? maybe just close the windows to keep the midges out? cheaper

why possibly time to change them? do you have itch-itus? maybe just close the windows to keep the midges out? cheaper
I have always thought they were the weakest part of my system. They sound pretty decent with lighter music but with most rock they become congested. Years ago myself and some friends were exchanging gear with each other and much to my disgust my speakers were easily the worst.

Jim,

Other helpful input would be around room layout/placement possibilities for both speakers and listening positions.

Good amp, lots of power = makes things easier.
The key...the real vital point, is to get speakers then that work in your room acoustic. That means a home demo. Since you seem open to most things, and have an amp that will drive most things, find a local dealer who will do home demo and start there.
Coming from the warm englishness of Castles, I'd avoid metal dome tweeters, Focals, small modern standmounts or anything 'tiring'. (I went from Castles to Focals...it lasted 2 months).
Hope you find something!

Jim,

Other helpful input would be around room layout/placement possibilities for both speakers and listening positions.

The chesters are in a bay window about 12" away from the window ,3' away from the side walls and 5' apart slightly toed in. My listening position is 8' away directly in the middle. My house is a Victorian semi. With suspended wooden floors.

Oh them wooden floors! I forsee a bad back after the import of 2 partner annoying concrete paving slabs into the sitting room.

Good amp, lots of power = makes things easier.
The key...the real vital point, is to get speakers then that work in your room acoustic. That means a home demo. Since you seem open to most things, and have an amp that will drive most things, find a local dealer who will do home demo and start there.
Coming from the warm englishness of Castles, I'd avoid metal dome tweeters, Focals, small modern standmounts or anything 'tiring'. (I went from Castles to Focals...it lasted 2 months).
Hope you find something!
A home demo is a bit of a problem for me. I live in North Somerset and my local dealer is Audio T. I always valued Allisters opinion but he has left and I have not found the staff as helpful. I just get a bizarre felling in the shop.
Sevenoaks don't have a great stock and that leaves Richer sounds.

What are the compromises? Are you free to have big and wide speakers, and have them positioned away from side and back walls? Or is the room shared with somebody else who has other views on what’s is acceptable?

I always feel that with the narrow fronted modern multi driver floor standers that are popular today, the designer has had to work hard to overcome their inherent limitations, and it sometimes shows.

Also a lot of modern speakers in this price are ported and that presents problems if they subsequently end up pushed back against the wall!

What are the compromises? Are you free to have big and wide speakers, and have them positioned away from side and back walls? Or is the room shared with somebody else who has other views on what’s is acceptable?

I always feel that with the narrow fronted modern multi driver floor standers that are popular today, the designer has had to work hard to overcome their inherent limitations, and it sometimes shows.

Also a lot of modern speakers in this price are ported and that presents problems if they subsequently end up pushed back against the wall!
My wife is pretty understanding. But the room is shared. At the other end of the room is my dining table.
I know this is not ideal but it is what I have!

You could pick up WB Arcs for around 1k, maybe a little over. Very neutral, detailed and dynamic, superb engineering and they look good.

They’re standmounters, bolted to their own stands with plenty of bass extension.

Can you try firing across, in the section of the room that does not involve the dining table? I think that generally works best in long living rooms; then you get a relatively nearfield intimacy, but the scale of the room means you don't suffer any bass problems, so in some ways gives the best of all worlds.

I ran Castle speakers for many years but only ones remaining are AV centre & Classic (ATC design) subwoofer which I use with a pair of ProAc Tablette Anniversary which replaced a pair of Castle Richmond 3s early last year having accidentally destroyed them. So many speakers to choose from but you will no doubt want ones which are nearly as well finished as the Castles - certainly difficult to get anything better. Back in the early days when I had my Castles I also had a liking for Quads but these days favour Spendors & ProAcs which are a step or two up in terms of sound quality & close on cabinet finish. I understand that Castle used to make the cabinets for ProAc & there are similarities in some of their their designs so perhaps some of the staff moved to ProAc when Castle decided to pack up their bags & leave us.

I note you have said you have not been able to establish a good relationship with some of the current staff at your local Audio-t but the Preston branch still have a black pair of ex demo ProAc Tablette Anniversary at £895 asking price & am sure they could be negotiated down. I love mine with a big soundstage & very decent bass for such small speakers. Staff there are very friendly & helpful so if they are of any interest ring the manager, Ian, on 01772 883958 for a chat. He has got plenty of kit for me from other branches so may be willing to send them to the Somerset branch for you to have a listen. Other staff are Gavin & Andy.

Harbeth springs to mind for me.

There is (was?) a pair of Compact 7s in the classifieds currently which would be a very cost effective way to see if you like the house sound. The 7s have the classic Harbeth natural tonality but are also probably the most open and 'live' sounding of the range. They will certainly Rock on the end of your Hegel amp...

advertisement

Back