advertisement

Thinking aloud: obj / sub / ABX cyclic arguments etc Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's impedance matching your talking about, capacitance and voltage are just two of the functions that make up impedeance matching/transfer.

yeah there's that as well.

cartridge matching.

pre to power matching

gain structure matching

speaker sensitivity to noise matching....

it's not magic.

yeah there's that as well.

cartridge matching.

pre to power matching

gain structure matching

speaker sensitivity to noise matching....

it's not magic.

Actually power transfer is quite a complex subject! Phase angles etc....long time since I did my HNC but it hurt my head back then.

Actually power transfer is quite a complex subject! Phase angles etc....long time since I did my HNC but it hurt my head back then.

not really that hard for line level matching and short speaker cables.... it's more complex in the pro area with mixing desks and all the gubbings.

I think one of the advantages of active speakers is that the power amp / speaker interactions are probably quite complex. If you have passive speakers then finding a really good match to the power amp has a significant effect on the sound of the system. Caveat - what I know about electronics could be written on a small postage stamp - these are just empirical observations.

Nic P

Most hi-fi connections are voltage source, so power transfer is not a concern. Even amp to speaker is voltage source so you just need the lowest source resistance as possible and the power transfer will be dictated by the load impedance curve.

Most hi-fi connections are voltage source, so power transfer is not a concern. Even amp to speaker is voltage source so you just need the lowest source resistance as possible and the power transfer will be dictated by the load impedance curve.

Exactly, impedance.

yes, no magic whatsoever.... that's why i'm not sure of the word 'synergy' i'd call it optimal setup conditions or system matching.

I've never understood Synergy. It's either common-sense technical load matching, or it's correcting shortcomings in one item by opposite shortcomings downstream, in which case, don't use them.

S

When you say impedance are you referring to the impedance curve of the loudspeaker. Is it true that the more complex, and the lowest levels of the impedance curve determine how hard it is to drive the loudspeaker? If so, then this is not as simple an issue as you seem to be describing. If you take the impedance curve of a loudspeaker, can you say by measurement which amplifiers can drive it well?

Nic P

When you say impedance are you referring to the impedance curve of the loudspeaker. Is it true that the more complex, and the lowest levels of the impedance curve determine how hard it is to drive the loudspeaker? If so, then this is not as simple an issue as you seem to be describing. If you take the impedance curve of a loudspeaker, can you say by measurement which amplifiers can drive it well?

Nic P

Sure, look at the loudspeaker's impedance curve and the amplifier's current delivery capability and one should get a fair idea if there's likely to be any issue. With just about any modern SS amplifier, there's usually plenty of current capability for most loads short of Apogee Scintillas.

S

A holistic view helps!
I like to think my views on HiFi are pretty logical, mainly.

Source - amplified - speakers.

TT's and tape decks I know nothing about. A converted digital source shouldn't differ from the next, and if they do, something's wrong.

No need for an amp to have a sound, and in my view, they only do if they're either under powered in relation to a given set of speakers, with the distortion caused by clipping the differentiator, or there's some purposely added distortion, or distortion caused by poor design, which a graphic equalizer could mimic if desired.

Speakers are obviously meant to distort as little as possible, to me anyway.

So purity of source - unmolested as much as possible before it reaches the ears.

I don't get synergy at all.

I like to think my views on HiFi are pretty logical, mainly.

Source - amplified - speakers.

TT's and tape decks I know nothing about. A converted digital source shouldn't differ from the next, and if they do, something's wrong.

No need for an amp to have a sound, and in my view, they only do if they're either under powered in relation to a given set of speakers, with the distortion caused by clipping the differentiator, or there's some purposely added distortion, or distortion caused by poor design, which a graphic equalizer could mimic if desired.

Speakers are obviously meant to distort as little as possible, to me anyway.

So purity of source - unmolested as much as possible before it reaches the ears.

I don't get synergy at all.

Sorry you don't get synergy!

To what end,you don't want equipment to sound different?

Absolutely not. If a system was perfect, it would sound the same as any other perfect system. We've been there with digital sources and amplification for years, not quite there yet with loudspeakers, but getting closer.

S

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back