advertisement

Things written in run-out area of LPs

Michael J

pfm Member
I was looking at some LPs on the well-known auction site and saw some matrix numbers in the listing titles so I thought I'd check out my own, and on my LZ III I found the following written in the run out area:

Side 1 "Do what thou wilt"
Side 2 "so mote it be"

I know not what to make of that.

I was looking at some LPs on the well-known auction site and saw some matrix numbers in the listing titles so I thought I'd check out my own, and on my LZ III I found the following written in the run out area:

Side 1 "Do what thou wilt"
Side 2 "so mote it be"

I know not what to make of that.

Spooky!:eek:

quite a few records have quotes or words in the run outs, the led zep ones are noted as this denotes the earlier pressings along with the matrix codes. I'm sure a google search will fill the gaps.
On the uk subs single tomorrow's girls, the run out reads tomorrow's prime porky worky!

Decca SXLs start with ZAL anyone know what ZAL means?

It's just the prefix to the matrix number, I don't think it has any significance beyond that and it's the same for just about all Decca cuts, e.g. you'll find the same on old Deram rock albums. The bit at the other end is of more use, the -1, -2 or whatever (-1 being a first pressing). I'm not 100% certain, but I think the letter after the -1 with Decca relates to the cutting engineer.

It's just the prefix to the matrix number, I don't think it has any significance beyond that and it's the same for just about all Decca cuts, e.g. you'll find the same on old Deram rock albums. The bit at the other end is of more use, the -1, -2 or whatever (-1 being a first pressing). I'm not 100% certain, but I think the letter after the -1 with Decca relates to the cutting engineer.

Yeah thanks Tony...answered my own question post above yours :) Doh!

Pretty much every Smiths record has a message in the run out groove...The Impotence Of Ernest.

My favourite is "The Chicken Won't Stop" / "The Chicken Stops Here" on Sides 1&4 of "Still", with chicken footprints on 2&3.

Another is "Lamb Shrewsbury Anyone?" on Hawkwind's "Xenon Codex" which I have no bloody clue what it means.

George Peckham, probably the most famous UK mastering engineer. A name to look out for on good cuts for sure.

Good enough reason to resurrect this great interview with him.......

Last edited by a moderator:
I got out a record yesterday with a essay written on it before the run in groove, like on the outside is it.

The 6th Borough Project, they did that there.

DS

advertisement

Back