advertisement

Things that we don't talk about enough

I remember struggling with the concept of an amphibious aircraft. Because amphibious (as teacher said) was something that lived on water and land - like a duck. And there were tanks and jeeps and things that were also boats so they were called amphibious. But a plane is pretty much defined by flying and not water and/or land. So calling it amphibious for being able to land on two things seems to demean the wonderful fact that it did the whole flying thing.

It's one of those weird things I remember being very concerned about when a child.

ok, if you want a kit related one ...

why we pay THOUSANDS of pounds for amplifiers from talented, brilliant, design GENIUSES...

who can't seem to manufacture a product with a remote control..

" because it will sonically degrade the music " ..

Sounds extremely lame in 2012...

All we're talking about is building a motorised unit onto whatever potentiometer they've decided to use.

Lame, Lame, Lame...

After spending too much on the other bits, I'm more and more convinced that room/speaker combinations present significant - and sometimes intractable? - problems. In the last three years I've steadily downsized from monoblocks - very nice in the stone-floored, vaulted ceilinged rented house but which seem to overwhelm my current living room

Yes, I too found moving rooms changed the presentation dramatically and initially the new room sounded far too shrill and, well, awful. It now sounds better than the old room by huge amounts with only careful setup and attention to small details - no system changes. Spending money and changing boxes would not have addressed the underlying problem, only compensated for it.
Setup to room characteristics is everything and is massively more important than agonising over cables.

Everyone should measure their room .
Keith.

Then what? I wouldn't have the foggiest what I'd need to look at or measure next. Maybe someone could post a link to a document setting out what to look out for in terms of placement, dos and donts etc.....at least to see whether any of it makes a big difference?

I remember struggling with the concept of an amphibious aircraft. Because amphibious (as teacher said) was something that lived on water and land - like a duck. And there were tanks and jeeps and things that were also boats so they were called amphibious. But a plane is pretty much defined by flying and not water and/or land. So calling it amphibious for being able to land on two things seems to demean the wonderful fact that it did the whole flying thing.

It's one of those weird things I remember being very concerned about when a child.

But ducks fly too! So surely an amphibious aircraft is closer to being a duck than either a tank or a jeep is.

Wouldn't a flightless animal, like a frog or a lungfish, have been a better example of something that is amphibious. That may have helped ease your youthful concerns.

On the other hand, judging by your postings here, you are still concerned about weird things.

Ducks! Perhaps ducks are the answer!

Those china flying ducks people with no taste bought in the old days...

The etymology of amphibious is interesting - it means having 'both' lives. Although it has a pretty established meaning in life sciences, originally it might have described creatures who live on land and in the air. Or creatures who live both in cyberspace and meatspace.

In all seriousness, we ought to be discussing how to combat the acceptance by Joe Public, especially the younger generation (who are the future buyers of music and equipment), of the poorest, cheapest, smallest, crappiest, lowest common denominator of music and playback mediums. Disposable songs played on mobile phones must be the antithesis of all we believe in.

Where has the sense of quality and craftsmanship gone not only with music but also with what people will listen to music on? Where has the pride in ownership of a physical album gone? Of course there's a recession and top end systems are out of limits for many but kids happily listening through cheap earphones via mobiles on downloaded (legal or otherwise) low res copies makes me pessimistic for the future. Punks rebelled against the elitism of Prog but at least punks made albums, existed as bands and played live.

Whether my DAC or turntable is bigger than yours makes interesting reading for a few - but the bigger picture needs addressing otherwise Cowell & Apple and their like win.

Wise words!

advertisement

Back