advertisement

There's a gap..... at the top of my rack..... analogue is done... for now

I've come late to this thread, Darren but do you have a decent enough vinyl collection? If so, you'll need sth to play them on. Maybe your VPI combo wasn't sufficiently optimised if you've relegated it on s.q.,grounds. I can live without digital (apart from valved CDP) but must have vinyl and radio (+TV) through my kit. I've no idea how streaming etcetera works, and I'm happy in my ignorance.:)

Bit like saying
beyond my means now.... but a beautiful player. I'd love one Thanks for the suggestion Jezzer

It’s only money!

The Solo, Duo and Trio were always lovely looking things, no idea how they stack up against more modern players.

It’s only money!

The Solo, Duo and Trio were always lovely looking things, no idea how they stack up against more modern players.

It's only money until you haven't got very much.... :) and also, its not really about performance - I'v got a really good dac etc (well.... I think so) its a statement piece to enhance my audiophile cred. ( is that an oxymoron?)
I think you can see from the prices of old cd players that lots of people think the same. If there's one thing I would criticise modern server based or streaming audio set ups for its for a lack of theatre, a lack of 'scuptural' beauty. Its all contaminated with computer technology, so its efficient, small, neat etc. Its enough to make a real audiophile spit.
More is, after all, more.

Now I feel shallow.... It was actually the Collins' rakish good looks.

Ah now on looks alone I reckon the Racal has it sewn up! That big "Batman" triangular fascia around the tuning dial etc.... the movie star looks that got it it's part in "Goldfinger" and other movies... the way the chassis rakishly slopes down at the back:cool:

Both are works of art in engineering though!

r390atop.jpg

Just part of an R390A. Like gazing on a Ferrari engine or a da Vinci painting:cool::):D

Ah now on looks alone I reckon the Racal has it sewn up! That big "Batman" triangular fascia around the tuning dial etc.... the movie star looks that got it it's part in "Goldfinger" and other movies... the way the chassis rakishly slopes down at the back:cool:

Both are works of art in engineering though!

r390atop.jpg

Just part of an R390A. Like gazing on a Ferrari engine or a da Vinci painting:cool::):D
C'mon now Jezz. Time for your lie-down.;)

OK this then

HTB1uAP0MXXXXXbfaXXXq6xXFXXX5.jpg

FFS the lengths I go to to answer even the most rhetorically existential hi fi queries ... and the OP won't even appreciate it till they are channelling Duchamp and Salvador Dali when they next spin some Beefheart (I'd leave the Robert Johnson out for a while if I were you;))

OK this then

HTB1uAP0MXXXXXbfaXXXq6xXFXXX5.jpg

FFS the lengths I go to to answer even the most rhetorically existential hi fi queries ... and the OP won't even appreciate it till they are channelling Duchamp and Salvador Dali when they next spin some Beefheart (I'd leave the Robert Johnson out for a while if I were you;))
You are a Saint Jezz and we are all very grateful to you. There's just the odd moment when we would like to put you through that grinder.....

It's only money until you haven't got very much.... :) and also, its not really about performance - I'v got a really good dac etc (well.... I think so) its a statement piece to enhance my audiophile cred. ( is that an oxymoron?)
I think you can see from the prices of old cd players that lots of people think the same. If there's one thing I would criticise modern server based or streaming audio set ups for its for a lack of theatre, a lack of 'scuptural' beauty. Its all contaminated with computer technology, so its efficient, small, neat etc. Its enough to make a real audiophile spit.
More is, after all, more.

Yep - it’s why I still have records and a record player! My digital side sounds ace, but streaming although convenient is no substitute for physical media.

It’s a slippery slope I tell you. This year ditch the record player, next year replace hifi with Sonos!

Does one not fancy one of those big TEAC CD players - the VRDS 7/10/25 ones? I lusted after a 10 for years and eventually got one - a thing of beauty it was.

It ended up losing out in a box reduction exercise as streaming electronics started to arrive in the system. So now I use a Marantz Universal player - that does a mighty fine job given that I play DVDs about twice a year maybe.

Yep - it’s why I still have records and a record player! My digital side sounds ace, but streaming although convenient is no substitute for physical media.

It’s a slippery slope I tell you. This year ditch the record player, next year replace hifi with Sonos!
What!? I'd rather vote for Borris!

Perhaps remove a shelf, easy with Quadraspire, then there's no temptation to fill a space. If you want something pretty to look at perhaps a vintage radio or amp, a piece of sculpture or other object.

advertisement

Back