advertisement

There's a gap..... at the top of my rack..... analogue is done... for now

Darren

So gentle when he tries to understand.
I still use the tall Quadraspire rack I bought twenty years ago (cant argue that it hs provided value)
I'm an audiophile through and through and the top shelf has always housed my 'credentials' - usually a fancy schmancy turntable such as many PFM members own.
But, things change and now my digital sources via my Soncoz SGD1 dac outperform anything I can afford turntable wise. The VPI turntable just sits there, unused, and I'm bored with dusting it.
So, I'm thinking of putting it away and replacing it with something more retro digital: a vintage CD player I would love a Cambridge Audio CD1 or a Meridian MCD pro ..... but these things are rare and beyond my means.
I would really like an old, tank like cd player... but the knackered transport thing scares the pants off me. I own a Kenwood dp-x9010 that doesnt recognise discs and @Mike P tells me that new lasers are going to be virtually unobtanium...... It's a real shame as the transport is otherwise like silk in its operation.
I dont need to connect the new top shelf item to my DAC necessarily.
So here we are. Uncertain as to the way forward. What would you do at reasonable cost? Any suggestions?

I’ve just put a new to me class A amp on the top of my rack…. Best place for such a warm beast.
Deservedly so Ruggy. The A1000 is a beauty. Are you not going to get it recapped? Bet there is more, better sound to come.

advertisement

Back