advertisement

There is no one quite like Yuja...

Was there last night up close and intimate. Some of the criticism sounds a little misogynist to me, and ageist. Do you have to be old and male to be taken seriously?

I'm not a pianist, but she does seem to me to have a very remarkable technique. Though she does seem to pick the more "flashy" repertoire that showcases this technique, which I personally find less involving.

In recent times the BBC seems to pick presenters who they see as having popular appeal, rather than ones who are particularly knowledgeable. Clive Myrie & Rick Wakeman in particular as the piano expert seemed a strange choice, and I don't think he added very much.

Would you pick Alfred Brendel to introduce a Rock concert?

For me it's a question of mood. Argerich is often solemn and studied. I'm happy with a bit of exuberance and flash.

I'm not a pianist, but she does seem to me to have a very remarkable technique. Though she does seem to pick the more "flashy" repertoire that showcases this technique, which I personally find less involving.

In recent times the BBC seems to pick presenters who they see as having popular appeal, rather than ones who are particularly knowledgeable. Clive Myrie & Rick Wakeman in particular as the piano expert seemed a strange choice, and I don't think he added very much.

The Liszt is a well-beaten barnstormer and she does have great technique like numerous other pianists who have treaded this path over the years. It’s in her fingertips but is it in her being yet. Contrast her with Argerich. The Rachmaninov is remarkable. She lives the music.

Thanks for the link to the vid.
Not my favourite piece, but I think YW played it very well. And I suspect it's the most convincing performance I've heard.

I recall her starting out decades ago and she was pure flash then imo. But I think she has matured into a fine musician. (I recall a fairly recent and very enjoyable Shostakovich PC2 also on YouTube).

Like KatiaB imo she used (and still uses) her appearance to differentiate herself from the many other technically immaculate pianists that are around these days. Fair do's in a way, after all a working girl has to do the best for herself.

.... And yes, it sounds pretty decent on my system! Although what it 'should' sound like I have no idea.

Yes. Perfectly studied. I’m a big fan but there’s often (not necessarily in this thread) a Chinese prodigy bias, against.
No bias. I’m surprised you can’t hear or see the difference.Yang is very talented, no doubt. I’m sure if you asked her about Argerich, she’d tell you the difference.

No bias. I’m surprised you can’t hear or see the difference.Yang is very talented, no doubt. I’m sure if you asked her about Argerich, she’d tell you the difference.
Of course I can hear and see the difference, just don’t really see the relevance given this was a celebratory thread in the audio room.

I don’t agree with the negative comments - having seen her at the Verbier festival in other repertoire, my view is that she is remarkably gifted and talented. I don’t find Liszt’s PC1 a particularly attractive work, and would prefer to listen to say, Années de pèlerinage. But that’s Proms programming for you.

I also think she can dress however she chooses.
I agree with you. I listened on R3 (AAC stream) so the gown didn't come into it. She played the Liszt exactly as ISTM appropriate to the composer and the work. It's not fundamentally a subtle piece of music (and the BBC sound from the RAH was very good as usual). I was actually slightly distracted but it broke through that to make it an excellent listening experience.

I do have my favourite pianists etc. but just as with favourite audio kit it's possible to go down a deep rabbit hole and fail to listen to and appreciate alternative performers and performances merely because they fail to conform to prejudice.

PS: while writing this I have just started streaming the iPlayer video to check my memory. Actually it's better than I remember. And yes, the "gown" is rather stunning. Good for her.

advertisement

Back