advertisement

There is no one quite like Yuja...

Not familiar with Liszt p.c. 1 but she really is something, both visually and musically. No sheet music in sight either. Unusual first name but Wang is def. Chinese (says my wife).

She was amazing but I thought dear old Clive Myrie was a bit out of his depth interviewing her ('what's your favourite after show drink'!).
Those hotpants must have given the first violins a hard time.

I listened to her play a solo recital some 10 or 15 years ago. A fiery performance but not good enough to place her in my favourite pianists list.

I've never heard her play Beethoven or Schubert sonatas. They are my personal test. This Prom concert represents everything I don't like about the Proms and classical music marketing. The conductor is very young for his post and is promoted on the basis of his youth. As for Yuja Wang, I just heard the first few minutes of this to check, but the playing is nothing better than competent. No weight of sound, no story telling. Flat and impersonal. Playing Prokofiev and Liszt concertos does give one a chance to show off one's technique, but there has to be something more to say. Here, she has nothing to say. So we have a conductor who is no genius and a good pianist who is known for here skimpy clothes and ability to play lots of difficult notes.

As for conductor I remember only too well Rattle becoming conductor of the C.B,S.O at 25 - different class altogether.

I don’t agree with the negative comments - having seen her at the Verbier festival in other repertoire, my view is that she is remarkably gifted and talented. I don’t find Liszt’s PC1 a particularly attractive work, and would prefer to listen to say, Années de pèlerinage. But that’s Proms programming for you.

I also think she can dress however she chooses.

I don’t agree with the negative comments - having seen her at the Verbier festival in other repertoire, my view is that she is remarkably gifted and talented. I don’t find Liszt’s PC1 a particularly attractive work, and would prefer to listen to say, Années de pèlerinage. But that’s Proms programming for you.

I also think she can dress however she chooses.
Nothing negative. I agree. But there are plenty like her. Only a few become Great.

advertisement

Back