advertisement

There’s a new streamer in town.

Looks like it's roughly 1,000 euros will be interesting to see what it can do. Appears to have a good number of ins and outs. Roon Ready would be nice.

Been playing around with the iFi Zen Stream in a second system it's a bit finicky but once you get it going it seems to work extremely well. Seems like there is definitely room above the Bluesound Node for streaming with low jitter, balanced outs etc

Doesn’t Volumio act as an endpoint to Roon? Other operating systems can be used theoretically.

The blurb mentions “Roon Bridge”.

Already available Plugins

Youtube, Squeezelite, Radio Paradise, Podcasts, Pandora, Fusion DSP,
Roon Bridge, Soundcloud, Mixcloud

Just install Ropieee. Easy to swap out sd cards. You then have a Roon endpoint.
But would it be approved by Roon? And not everyone wants to mess around installing stuff from SD cards - it’s only “easy” if you are so inclined. Some people like things to just work out of the box.

I totally understand. Some of us are computer illiterate. Ropieee is guaranteed to work with Roon, that’s why it was developed for the pi platform. It doesn’t need to be approved. It really isn’t hard to flash a new image to an sd card.

I totally understand. Some of us are computer illiterate. Ropieee is guaranteed to work with Roon, that’s why it was developed for the pi platform. It doesn’t need to be approved. It really isn’t hard to flash a new image to an sd card.
If you are suggesting that I am computer illiterate you would be wrong. I wrote my first compiler 50 years ago and spent my working life writing software and designing databases. It is precisely because I am not computer illiterate that I prefer things that work out of the box and which are supported. How hard is it for the people behind this expensive box to get Roon Ready certification? Are they not computer literate?

If you are suggesting that I am computer illiterate you would be wrong. I wrote my first compiler 50 years ago and spent my working life writing software and designing databases. It is precisely because I am not computer illiterate that I prefer things that work out of the box and which are supported. How hard is it for the people behind this expensive box to get Roon Ready certification? Are they not computer literate?

Wouldn’t be hard at all for them. Given time, it hasn’t been released yet. I’m pretty sure they are computer literate.

Another thing. The blurb says “Analogue audio outputs are available in both balanced and single-ended formats,” and “Analogue inouts playback” but I can’t see either single-ended or balanced outputs or inputs in the picture of the back panel, and no analogue audio inouts or outputs are listed in the spec.

If you have your local music library stored as WAVs, I’d check that Volumio can access / show them properly. I had issues with a Stack Audio Link (which used Volumio) a few years ago as I was unable to access all the music files on my UnitiServe and eventually had to send it back. I’ve looked on the Volumio website and can’t see any mention of WAV files, just MP3, flac and dsd. There are forum reports of similar problems in 2020, but they may have been resolved since.
Just worth checking out if you are interested in the Rivo so you don’t run into the same problems I had with the Link.

I did programming 40 years ago, but would struggle with ropieee or whatever, and I'm big into plug-n-play.

For me Roon is required. I have zones everywhere, including the bathroom and garden shed. The product I use got certification in 6 months - certainly a record - but the manufacturer has people on the team with previous Roon experience.

I don't think Roon take a license fee and hence the only cost is the development time of the engineers. It attracts sales and Roon collects their subscriber fees.

Seems a well equipped product, fair price, marmite styling.

advertisement

Back