advertisement

"The World's Oldest LP12"...

A Technics SP10 Mk2 (without plinth) was £450 in 1976. That was a seriously expensive deck back then and that with Matsushita's advantage in terms of economies of scale. I'll bet very few were sold to anyone other than radio stations until they introduced the Obsidian plinth.

Had 'em at the beeb for Radio 1 'cos they could instant cue - 0 to 33.3 in 1/20th of a revolution or something bonkers like that . . .

No Obsidian plinths; they would only have used them for chopping coke.

Cheers, H

:) :) :)

Looks like it's a great investment opportunity, then.

Just throwing out a guess, but it could be that potential owners aren't interested in either of your criteria, i.e., performance or investment value. Maybe it's just as Tony L said - something someone might want because they see some historical value in it.

I have a few stone arrowheads. They aren't worth much of anything, and there are certainly better tools available for slaying game these days. I like them anyway.

Agreed, but the point is that this very old LP12 is going nowhere in terms of monetary value. It has no rarity value.

I, for one. would pay £1 to see it burn. It's more closely related to a WW1 gramophone than a decent modern t/t. Even a Technics SL-DD33 would have it for breakfast.

Not trolling, just not a fan.

S.

Hamish McDairmid sold me mine in April 1980 for £340.

Still going strong - so there NER NER to all you LP12 knockers.

You know who you are . . .

also inner platters are 10 a penny.

Cheers, H.

I always fancied building an LP12 from leftover parts and doing my solid billet machining case with integrated top plate idea (I think one of the cottage industry peeps here is doing one) so if you have a source for these "10 a penny inner platters" do let me know. an LP12 is not a difficult or expensive device to build.

I fail to see how 00008 is the worlds oldest LP12 what about serials 00001-00007?

I always fancied building an LP12 from leftover parts and doing my solid billet machining case with integrated top plate idea (I think one of the cottage industry peeps here is doing one) so if you have a source for these "10 a penny inner platters" do let me know. an LP12 is not a difficult or expensive device to build.

There's virtually everything you need on fleabay at the moment....

I fail to see how 00008 is the worlds oldest LP12 what about serials 00001-00007?

Go skip - dipping behind a busy Linn dealer . . .

Clippity - Clop.

I wondered about that too. Perhaps the seller is as good at counting is he is at advertising...
You need to understand the significance of the number "8" in Chinese and their dislike of some other numbers like "4" which sounds like "death" in some dialects.
Much of the classic vintage gear is going to Hong Kong.

Numbers are easily tampered, is there any provenance on this deck?

Just throwing out a guess, but it could be that potential owners aren't interested in either of your criteria, i.e., performance or investment value. Maybe it's just as Tony L said - something someone might want because they see some historical value in it.

I have a few stone arrowheads. They aren't worth much of anything, and there are certainly better tools available for slaying game these days. I like them anyway.

Do you remember Fred Flintstone's deck?

http://billtaylorcsp.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/record_player.jpg

Early Ittok prototype -

http://retrothing.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/04/18/beakytonearm_4.jpg

advertisement

Back