advertisement

The World Cup In Russia 2018

jackbarron

Chelsea, London
Well The World Cup has almost started. The Spurs weakened England team will do alright. They should get as far as the quarter finals, but Brazil or Spain will win the trophy.

Somebody I know quite well has gone out there. He was invited into Sky a few days ago in London to be interviewed about the tournament and the dangers of Russian football hooligans. He thinks The World Cup will be safe, given the amount of police and army involved.

My mate was wearing an England shirt and made a lot of sense. At the end of the interview, he held his two tattooed arms up and flexed them in in a Samson pose, with a big smile on his face. Twenty five years ago he used to be a hard-line Crystal Palace football hooligan.

I went to a football match with him at Wembley a few years ago. He still takes the piss out of opposing supporters pretty badly, but seems to know just how far to push it. Hope he's right about it being a safe.

Jack

Putin won't want Russian fans getting involved in violence, so if he's the hard man they say there'll be a few thousand known Russian thugs rounded up and locked in the gulags for the next month.

Belgium to beat Brazil in the final.

England out in the first knock-out round.

Brazil to beat Germany in the final and redemption for July 8th 2014, maybe, Belgium have a potentially great team but Martinez tactics have been questioned by De Bruyne?

Teams to do better than expected? Sweden, Denmark and Iceland perhaps?

Be interesting to see how Argentina play against Iceland in the first game.

The media don't seem to be going all out on exaggerating or even publicising England's chances in the Cup and this makes many Scots more likely to at least offer token support :). England has a lot of talent in the team and could actually do well :). I will try to ration myself to one game a day, but not sure if I can manage :). I agree with Tiger, but realistically it will be Brazil, Germany or Spain :). Much to look forward to before the SPFL starts up again :)

Football is so much more enjoyable than politics anyway :).

There will be a curtain raiser at 15.30 GMT for The World Cup. This is 30 minutes before the game between Russia and Saudi Arabia.

Putin will attend the opening ceremony in Moscow's Luzhniki Stadium, which is where the Final will be held. A concert in Red Square will run in tandem.

Robbie Williams is headlining in Luzhniki Stadium, but what will he sing? Some Take That songs, his own international toe-tappers, or a mixture of both?

The Guardian have unearthed some critics, who spit that Williams is 'selling his soul to dictator Putin.' https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...lling-soul-to-dictator-putin-in-world-cup-gig

"John Woodcock MP, who sits on the home affairs committee, also condemned the former Take That member, who will be paid hundreds of thousands of pounds for the brief appearance."

Woodcock is on the right of the Labour Party, dislikes Jeremy Corbyn and was suspended for a while after sexual harassment claims.

“We all want to support the England team but Robbie Williams is handing Vladimir Putin a PR coup by performing at the thuggish pariah’s opening ceremony just months after Russia carried out a chemical weapons attack on English soil,” he said.

Williams is worth 165 million pounds, has a house in Holland Park next to Jimmy Page I believe, and is in Russia to party. Don't blame him. May and the Tories didn't want Prince William, President of the Football Association, to go to The World Cup, because of Skripal and their general hate of Putin.

However the overwhelming majority of Russians supported the annexation of Crimea and nothing has yet been proven about the Skripal poisonings. One things is for sure, Russia is definitely different from Toryland UK. The Russians are far better off with Robbie Williams I reckon.

Fkuc the politics, bring on the football.

Jack

Last edited:
My heart says England will do well, unfortunately my head doesn't.
All you need to do is remove Kane & see what is left compared to the best in the world, if we couldn't win it in '98 we have little chance now, the team then was at least 4 or 5 rudders up the ladder in terms of quality, we need to play to our strengths, which will be defend like mad men & hit on the break, that is if we reach the heady heights of the second round, the best we can hope for is the quarter finals, with this team this would be akin to the '98 squad winning it, so would be well beyond what the team on paper suggests.

We have sadly become a minnow in world football but as long as the tournament is exciting & full of surprise, with a final to match, I will be happy.

Well The World Cup has almost started. The Spurs weakened England team will do alright. They should get as far as the quarter finals, but Brazil or Spain will win the trophy.

Our toughest opponent in the group matches will be Belgium, who like England are blessed to name several Spurs players in their squad.

Our toughest opponent in the group matches will be Belgium, who like England are blessed to name several Spurs players in their squad.

You're right about the group matches. Belgium have three Spurs players. They also have three from Chelsea and they are the more important ones, obviously.

Jack

I've drawn Morocco in the work's sweep. I'm doing my best to contain my excitement.

It's a shame Morocco didn't win the bid to host The World Cup in 2026. Mexico and America already have.

I am not saying FIFA are corrupt to anything, but ...

Jack

As a Scot, with considerable experience (sadly!) with my team not being at these tournaments, what I do is watch a few of the initial games then lend my support to a team that has entertained me. In the past that hasn't ever been England (I have an English mother and currently mostly live in England so don't particularly have an axe to grind on the usual England v Scotland rivalry thing) but that could change if they're fun to watch (for the right reasons).

My hope is we at least get out of the group stage.

I also hope we don’t have several weeks of stupid brainless violent English fans “supporting” their team
By rioting in the streets & smashing everything in sight being shown to everyone all over the world.

advertisement

Back