advertisement

The wonderful Nigel Blackwell

Joe Hutch

Mate of the bloke
As well as being the brains/voice/writer behind Half Man Half Biscuit, he's clearly a lovely bloke. Here's a great story about the time he was sought by one of the major record labels:

https://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/2001/jul/21/weekend7.weekend6

'Charlie Galloway from Castle Records recalls the weekend in 1999 when he thought he'd tempted Blackwell to sign for a considerable sum: "We'd brought him to London and were due to meet at The Columbia [famous rock 'n 'roll hotel by Hyde Park] for talks. When we got there, there was a note from Nigel. It said: 'I feel a little queasy and have gone for a walk. If it's not too much trouble, can we meet on the bench by Peter Pan's statue?' "

In the park, they'd had a good chat about Millwall FC, but no deal ensued and Blackwell was so distressed at the thought of wasting Castle's time that he offered to reimburse the train fare.'

Was reading my NME in a pub back in the 80's, there was an article on the band (the main photo showed them sitting in the dugout at Prenton Park).
Remember reading some of the lyrics quoted to my mates and laughing hysterically - Went out and bought the first album on the strength of that very interview.

"There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets"
"If I were a linesman. I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides"
"I shout all my obscenities from steeples
But please don’t label me a madman
I’m off to see the Bootleg Beatles
As the bootleg Mark Chapman"

Amazing talent and pretty much unlistenable. I’d need a song sheet if I went to their gigs. Half man half biscuit - you know it’s got to be something special just from the name. Will try a little nibble each day…

Where to start? A genius. Never laughed so much as listening to HMHB. How does he just nail it so many times, yet never repeats?

If I have one fave, it would have to be the supposed racing driver bus drivers 'swinging round the corner... they think they're Benny Goodman.

God I love 'em.

advertisement

Back