advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

I've always had a thing for Rolexes, but they're almost in Harley Davidson territory now in terms of sitting on their laurels / flogging tarted-up versions of their old stuff instead of doing something fresh and new :(

I'm sure they're sticking to the "If it ain't broke..." marketing strategy.

If there are enough people out there willing to pay silly money for (mostly)oversized bling, why rock the boat?

I was never a fan of the Hulk always looked to big and square but the new one with the slimmer lugs does look better
But still the Kermit is King and they I don't mind the new coloured OP's

I'm not a fan of the larger lugs either. Tried one on and it didn't suit me at all -- slim wrists. I don't get the hype of the Hulk. Prices were ranging from £15-30k(!) upon Rolex confirming they're discontinued. Kermit will always be king IMO, mine's a 2006 (not a flat 4 unfortunately), still, bought for very little compared to what they go for now. Yours looks to be in very good condition, have you had it serviced recently? Mine's due, can't decide whether to ask for a light polish as it's worn daily since purchase and beginning to look like a polish would make a nice difference.

I imagine the coloured OPs will also appeal to women. The blue looks nice, the red however, not for me.

I'm sure they're sticking to the "If it ain't broke..." marketing strategy.
If there are enough people out there willing to pay silly money for (mostly)oversized bling, why rock the boat?

I know. Problem is will there still be a market for those prestige brand / nostalgia-rich products once we Boomers start shuffling off this mortal coil. Harley bet the farm there would be, and seem to have got it quite spectacularly wrong.

I'm not a fan of the larger lugs either. Tried one on and it didn't suit me at all -- slim wrists. I don't get the hype of the Hulk. Prices were ranging from £15-30k(!) upon Rolex confirming they're discontinued. Kermit will always be king IMO, mine's a 2006 (not a flat 4 unfortunately), still, bought for very little compared to what they go for now. Yours looks to be in very good condition, have you had it serviced recently? Mine's due, can't decide whether to ask for a light polish as it's worn daily since purchase and beginning to look like a polish would make a nice difference.

I imagine the coloured OPs will also appeal to women. The blue looks nice, the red however, not for me.

I got mine back in 2010 2nd hand for £3k I did have it serviced around 2 years ago at Rolex , its still my favourite watch of my collection
My I picked up OP because I was offered a great deal I just couldn't turn down :)
I did call the AD Tuesday to put my name down on the new green bezel sub looks so better than the Hulk

It doesn't use the ETA 2824 sir it uses the Seiko 8L35 the picture of which is above
But I do have many watches which use the 2824
The most expensive watch I own with that movement be it the COSC version is this new
Breitling Colt 41

I was actually asking about the Zero West, which I thought I'd clicked on the Reply link but evidently not. I would never be so gauche as to suggest that Seiko would use an ETA movement :eek:

Thanks to whoever it was (I forget) who posted links to a couple of Seikos for sale. Post seems to have disappeared. Eitherway.. I'd seen the ads.. but thanks again.

Looks nice but that's rather a lot for an ETA 2824 watch. Your Image is a bit noisy, is the fit and finish really good?
I was actually asking about the Zero West, which I thought I'd clicked on the Reply link but evidently not. I would never be so gauche as to suggest that Seiko would use an ETA movement :eek:
Yes, sorry for my scuzzy phonography. Fit and finish very good, lovely leather strap and some nice little touches, with a local (to me) finish. It's a boutique watch, so VFM is very subjective, but no reason not to base it on a workhorse movement.

If VFM was king, my collection of Rollies would be much smaller than it is now! In fact some have not seen the light of day for a while now....

Hello fello Fishies, I'm after some info / advice. I have an Orient Mako like this:
https://www.creationwatches.com/pro...cWw1mown1sNt5i_FxCki6cR1gESxzsKIaAirWEALw_wcB
Since I got it nearly 2 years ago, it has accumulated some light scratches to the glass, which apparently is a mineral type glass. Can anyone recommend any method for cleaning this up? I assume I will need some sort or polishing paste, but what sort?
Thanks for any info.

Get a lovely double dome sapphire replacement from Crystaltimes:

https://usa.crystaltimes.net/shop/brands/seiko-mod-parts/ct039/

2CQkl4.jpg

I've always had a thing for Rolex's, but they're almost in Harley Davidson territory now in terms of sitting on their laurels / flogging tarted-up versions of their old stuff instead of doing something fresh and new :(
I suspect that "fresh and new" is not part of Rolex's business model. It is not, and will never be, Patek Philippe or Jaeger LeCoultre. Its major innovations, which were indeed major innovations at the time, the waterproof watch and the practical automatic, are long in the past, so it relies largely on technical excellence of the existing product line, cosmetic improvements, bolstered by an enviably large permanent advertising campaign, designed to convince people that its products are top of the heap - which they are, in Rolex's own way of defining it. (I speak as the owner of two GMT-Masters, one bought in 1975 and which has never, ever let me down).

I suspect that "fresh and new" is not part of Rolex's business model. It is not, and will never be, Patek Philippe or Jaeger LeCoultre. Its major innovations, which were indeed major innovations at the time, the waterproof watch and the practical automatic, are long in the past, so it relies largely on technical excellence of the existing product line, cosmetic improvements, bolstered by an enviably large permanent advertising campaign, designed to convince people that its products are top of the heap - which they are, in Rolex's own way of defining it. (I speak as the owner of two GMT-Masters, one bought in 1975 and which has never, ever let me down).

Can't argue with any of that tones. I've owned the same Sub since the late '90s, and bought into the brand ethos completely. The likes of older chaps such as you and I buying three Rolexs (Rolleii?) between us over nigh on half a century won't help them in the future though. The nub of the issue I guess is the risk that with all products - the market changes, and your offering starts to become less meaningful to buyers out there. My three grown-up offspring have little interest in cars, or motorbikes, and indeed less in watches of any kind. "Dad-Bling' was they term they annointed my small collection of carefully selected and much treasured time-pieces with :)

I'd like to see a company like Rolex thrive and prosper, because I'm a traditionalist at heart - and respect what they do. Not sure if the next lot coming after us will see it/them the same way alas.

Well, demand outstrips supply by some margin on nearly all Rolex gents watches at the moment. The U.K. is a tiny market, so our tastes hardly matter.

advertisement

Back