advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

I have fancied a "Pepsi" style bezel watch for a while, so yesterday cashed in some "points" from a work reward scheme for 200 Amazon pounds, and got myself a SRPD53K1.

52666728367_42a1184c07_b.jpg

I seem to be in a very small minority in wearing my watch on the inside of my wrist. Always have done, never feels comfortable on the outside.

Cool watch. And yeah, wearing it on the inside seems unusual to me. I know lots of people do it so it's just a personal preference. Maybe I should try it myself, who knows, I might prefer it that way myself.

I quite often wear a watch that way up - it's often less rotation to see the time, and I find it comfy.

It does tend to knock the dickens out of a watch worn that way, all the time; crown or face too-often hits every desk surface etc...

I have fancied a "Pepsi" style bezel watch for a while, so yesterday cashed in some "points" from a work reward scheme for 200 Amazon pounds, and got myself a SRPD53K1.

I seem to be in a very small minority in wearing my watch on the inside of my wrist. Always have done, never feels comfortable on the outside.
Nice. A bargain these days at £200 , especially with the 4r36 movement.

I rather like that. But is it a ‘real’ pepsi? I thought the bezel should be 50-50?

I rather like that. But is it a ‘real’ pepsi? I thought the bezel should be 50-50?

Would need to be 50/50 if it was night and day for a second timezone like a GMT but this bezel is marked in minutes.

I've seen minute bezels both 50/50 and up to the 20 min marker like this - does anyone know why?

I think "Pepsi" is just a shorthand for any red over blue bezel, because it resembles the Pepsi logo. The same goes for "Batman" and " Hulk" bezel styles. You are correct that they have traditionally been 50-50 split but I don't think that there's a rule in place. In fact I think there's another convention that divers watches mark the last 20 minutes or so in red so the diver in question knows where he is it he's using the bezel for timing. I think It's only a problem if you the consumer want or expect it to be 50-50.

I should be picking up my hopefully fixed Sarx017 later today.... It used the 6r15 movement too... And it had been losing 10-15 mins per day!

Maybe that was normal? But sure it was acceptably accurate when I got it 6 or 7 years ago.

I also have a Sarb033 and it seems to be very well behaved.

Ah that makes sense - 20 mins for divers watches with minute bezels and 12 hours for GMTs etc with hour bezels.
I've just had a look at my Vostok diver, it's the first quarter of the dial on that, and I've seen similar elsewhere. Some convention s make good sense, like cars always having the brake on the left of the accelerator, and indeed this forms part of the C&U regs for obvious reasons. Otherwise there are convention s that just make your life easier, like H pattern gear selectors. Anyone can learn a dogleg box in a Porsche or 2CV but it takes a moment of thought.

I should be picking up my hopefully fixed Sarx017 later today.... It used the 6r15 movement too... And it had been losing 10-15 mins per day!

Maybe that was normal? But sure it was acceptably accurate when I got it 6 or 7 years ago.

I also have a Sarb033 and it seems to be very well behaved.
That's not normal, no. But it's a simple adjustment. My Seiko autos are very accurate. I've got one that keeps such good time that I don't notice any drift over the course of a week, and an older one that's had daily use for 8 years of so and it gains 4 or 5 minutes a week. That's less than a minute a day, more accurate than me. It used to be better, no drift over the course of a week.
The things wear, they're mechanical devices and need periodic servicing to keep the parts clean and lubricated as they wear against each other and generate metal dust and dirt. However I've heard that 10 years is a more usual interval period.

I've got a similar one, which I use with a Nato strap:

167469664.6jfXNc7A.seiko1.jpg

advertisement

Back