advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

The watch was originally designed to military specific for special services use by a British company, the watch is also available for general purchase to the public on a limited number. The video was made by an ex military photographer, and was shot on location in a quarry which is closed to public by an explosive demolition company, can’t see your problem with a company doing extreme testing on one of their products. Other than super glueing a waterproof watch to the front of an around the world racing yacht, and then racing it around the world as a test. That also still worked at the end of the journey. Both items together less than the price of an omega sea master strap I would expect. Bet the likes of Omega Rolex and Tag would not hold up to either of them.

Nice looking watches. Genuine military spec and made in the UK. I can think of worse ways to spend £500.

OH off to Zurich. Which are the nicest in the flesh? Quite like the Neptune.
I liked the Mercury and Moon, but if tempted by a color, agreed that the Neptune is a good choice. The Earth also. The red/brown/yellow colors didn’t look as nice.

can’t see your problem with a company doing extreme testing on one of their products.
It’s the marketing. Just seems like something the Discovery Channel would cook up. “Let’s go blow things up!” Doesn’t appeal or convince me. Hardly real world testing. If I did step on a land mine I’d have bigger things to worry about than if my watch kept working. My 5lb lump hammer could provide a more rigorous test if you want to look at impact resistance. Or just drop it from the top of the quarry. Not to say they aren’t great watches and good value for money. YMMV etc. etc.

Are there any budding watch makers on here? I dropped my nice Seiko 5, and one of the hour batons, and the Seiko logo came off.

If anyone thinks they can fix it, they can have it for free. Would much rather it went to someone who could use it.

Are there any budding watch makers on here? I dropped my nice Seiko 5, and one of the hour batons, and the Seiko logo came off.

If anyone thinks they can fix it, they can have it for free. Would much rather it went to someone who could use it.
I'm quite tempted by this, it would be an interesting thing to look at. Does the movement still work, or is that damaged too?

I'm quite tempted by this, it would be an interesting thing to look at. Does the movement still work, or is that damaged too?
No guarantees, but appears to be working absolutely fine. With the right tools, and a steady hand (both of which I’m lacking) it shouldn’t be a complicated fix.

Watch testing to the extreme, the Elliot Brown way.

Except that in reality the watch is probably going to be strapped to an owners body. In similar arguments with nearby explosive devices said owner is more likely to be beyond caring about the condition of their watch than someone wanting to prove something else might be.

It’s the marketing. Just seems like something the Discovery Channel would cook up. “Let’s go blow things up!” Doesn’t appeal or convince me. Hardly real world testing. If I did step on a land mine I’d have bigger things to worry about than if my watch kept working. My 5lb lump hammer could provide a more rigorous test if you want to look at impact resistance. Or just drop it from the top of the quarry. Not to say they aren’t great watches and good value for money. YMMV etc. etc.
Well they don’t exactly use a 5lb lump hammer, but they do hit them with a 3kg stainless mallet, read the below link. At least one of the hour batons and logo didn’t fall off like CTank’s sekonda!

https://elliotbrownwatches.com/blogs/journal/testing-testing-and-more-testing

This is so silly I don't even know what to say. It's just BS marketing. I was a serious military watch collector for many years and I have never ever heard of Elliot Brown and certainly no MoD specs require their watches to survive being blown up!

There are many companies that have made-up histories and that claim to make products for military or professional use but most of them it's just marketing.

I liked the Mercury and Moon, but if tempted by a color, agreed that the Neptune is a good choice. The Earth also. The red/brown/yellow colors didn’t look as nice.

Yes, agree. Mercury, Moon or Neptune (maybe Earth). Depends what they’ve got I suppose. Could always pick one up each time passing through, keep the favourite and sell the rest!

The Moonswatches aren’t such a rarity now. UK stores are now getting them in stock on a regular basis. A friend’s teenage son who makes money as a flipper of various designer brands has stopped selling them (eBay will show that the crazy markups are significantly diminished).

Which reminds me - Christopher Ward bought the Trident brand name a few years back, but I have one of the originals from around 1973. It was a lower-tier British brand IIRC, somewhere above Timex and Accurist, but not what you'd call posh. I can't find much about it at all but it was my first 'proper' watch, 25 jewel automatic, Incabloc, all that stuff. I found it in the loft at my parents' house last summer, while helping to clear out prior to moving them out. It still runs, but the crown has broken so it can't be adjusted or wound and it needs a good fettling. I'm sure it's not worth much, but I'd like to get it usable again, so a service and a new strap at some point. I approached a couple of the watch wranglers recommended on this thread, who turned their noses up, or wouldn't talk to me until I told them what the movement was and I don't have the tool to remove the back so I have no idea.

Please post a pic when you get a chance. I’d love to see an original Trident!

Got it back from the watch hospital at the weekend. It's had a fettle, a new crown and glass, and I've treated it to a new strap. It has some patina, not least because it's now 50 years old, and my sweat has attacked the chrome plate over the years I wore it at school and afterwards, but I don't mind that. It is what it is.
f2046246-5b09-41c8-80ca-f409c045fb8d.jpg

e4fb05de-b2be-4812-a484-888b62df6aea_640.jpg

Got it back from the watch hospital at the weekend. It's had a fettle, a new crown and glass, and I've treated it to a new strap. It has some patina, not least because it's now 50 years old, and my sweat has attacked the chrome plate over the years I wore it at school and afterwards, but I don't mind that. It is what it is.

Fine watch that

Lovely watch! Solid, easy to read, and no-nonsense 70s design.

I picked up a Sun SwatchXOmega Moonswatch earlier. I would have preferred to have gotten a Moon one or even a Pluto one as that looks a sort of classy with the burgundy, but I still liked the Sun Moonswatch all the same. I might try and pick up a Pluto the next time I'm in town (Glasgow).

Being the proud possessor of a 'Baby Grand' (the Sarb 035 - top pic)..it was probably inevitable that my attention would eventually turn to the big brothers - the Grand Seiko proper (pics 2 and 3).

4VSZVXRl.png

3c5kMp1l.png

8uY9ReAl.png

It would have to be the mechanical one obviously - and bought for the long run.

Any owners on here - or any love for the marque ?

Being the proud possessor of a 'Baby Grand' (the Sarb 035 - top pic)..it was probably inevitable that my attention would eventually turn to the big brothers - the Grand Seiko proper (pics 2 and 3).

4VSZVXRl.png

3c5kMp1l.png

8uY9ReAl.png

It would have to be the mechanical one obviously - and bought for the long run.

Any owners on here - or any love for the marque ?
No, but I respect the quality. I'm not sure what makes a GS worth 4x as much as a SARB though, and I haven't seen one GS that I would swap for my Alpinist.

advertisement

Back