advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

I'd go for the Oyster Perpetual 34
I have the older 39mm model myself

That's about the only Rolex I like. The rest are just too shouty, with the big chunky bezels, crown guards and all the rest, with all the "powerfully built company director" baggage the brand carries and goes out of its way to pursue it's just too "Look at me!" and I can't be doing with it.

Yeah - I bought a SS Sub about 25 years ago, that I couldn't part with at this stage, but if I were buying now I'd go for something less shouty, a smaller bodied Perpetual or Explorer (as long as it didn't have that nasty fluted bezel or - heavens forbid/worse - 'bi-metal' finish :)

I have a SARB033 (black dial) imported from Japan, which was my daily wearer but unfortunately stopped working. I think it happened when it got passed through an agricultural inspection machine at the airport. I would love to get it working again - might require a replacement of the 6R15 movement, though. Can anyone recommend a suitable repair shop in the UK?
Yes, found one. They will mend it, I've got a watch in there now for a bezel adjustment. Not the fastest, but inexpensive. You drop the thing off, every Wednesday the shopkeeper drops one lot off and collects the repaired ones. They will not fit owner supplied parts, only genuine bits from the manufacturer. However the repairer will of course source official parts as necessary and according to availability from the manufacturer. For something like a 6r15 that is still in production, or certainly was a couple of years ago, this has to be easy enough. It's only a mile from my front door, which is nice.

Speaking of bi-metallic horrors..got given this Rado Stag recently:

M6fuqvAl.jpg

Despite it definitely not being the kind of watch I'd ever buy, after wearing it for a few days to check if it kept good time, I'm starting to warm to the damn thing. Don't know anything about its provenance, or indeed the Rado brand, but It is a solidly built entity - seems to have an auto-movement and a decent waterproof case.

hJnPdgIm.jpg

Needs a good clean - but seems at least to have escaped the hands of the amateur finishers and polishers.

Don't think I can live with the extra nasty strap though. Cant figure what kind of strap / straps might suit such an odd thing - any recommendations gentlemen ?

M6fuqvAl.jpg

Despite it definitely not being the kind of watch I'd ever buy, after wearing it for a few days to check if it kept good time, I'm starting to warm to the damn thing. Don't know anything about its provenance, or indeed the Rado brand, but It is a solidly built entity - seems to have an auto-movement and a decent waterproof case.

hJnPdgIm.jpg

Needs a good clean - but seems at least to have escaped the hands of the amateur finishers and polishers.

Don't think I can live with the extra nasty strap though. Cant figure what kind of strap / straps might suit such an odd thing - any recommendations gentlemen ?

I like! What a great gift!

M6fuqvAl.jpg

hJnPdgIm.jpg

Something Star Trekkish about it. Or those sci-fi films where they all wear silver-painted gumboots.

That Rado is certainly interesting! I'd wear that before a great many "bigger" brands. Maybe not every day , but on occasion, certainly. I would choose a strap with some green in it, to pick up that greenish grey dial. A NATO, if you like them. I didn't, but having tried them I now do.

Rado are one of those Swiss brands that seem to fly below the radar. Far from budget pricing but not massively advertised or well known.

These textile straps seem like a nice alternative to a Nato - less chunky and made from recycled marine plastic.

https://www.watchgecko.com/products/seaqualr-upcycled-fabric-zuludiver-watch-strap-khaki
That looks good, even if it's a rather expensive way of buying a viscose/plastic composite strap. You are however wearing your eco convictions right where your wallet is, and upcycling plastic from the sea is not the easiest way to go, nor is making textiles from apples (I imagine an adaptation to the viscose process is most suited to this, it's a lot easier to start with wood pulp).

I would choose a strap with some green in it, to pick up that greenish grey dial. A NATO, if you like them. I didn't, but having tried them I now do.

I'd considered a Nato alright. It's a devilishly difficult watch to match a strap to - doesn't come out well in the pics, but the face is a golden hue (hence the bi-metallic horror quip :)

You've got a big lump of chrome/steel metal, and a smaller gold/reflective dial and hands that you have to match - and ideally with a strap that complements the odd shape.

Tough to find the right one to "tie the whole thing together" :)

I'd considered a Nato alright. It's a devilishly difficult watch to match a strap to - doesn't come out well in the pics, but the face is a golden hue (hence the bi-metallic horror quip :)

You've got a big lump of chrome/steel metal, and a smaller gold/reflective dial and hands that you have to match - and ideally with a strap that complements the odd shape.

Tough to find the right one to "tie the whole thing together" :)

Personally, I've never got on with Nato straps. I find them uncomfortable, and the watch sits too high on the wrist for my taste.

God, that’s stupid on so many levels. Would put me off buying from that brand.
The watch was originally designed to military specific for special services use by a British company, the watch is also available for general purchase to the public on a limited number. The video was made by an ex military photographer, and was shot on location in a quarry which is closed to public by an explosive demolition company, can’t see your problem with a company doing extreme testing on one of their products. Other than super glueing a waterproof watch to the front of an around the world racing yacht, and then racing it around the world as a test. That also still worked at the end of the journey. Both items together less than the price of an omega sea master strap I would expect. Bet the likes of Omega Rolex and Tag would not hold up to either of them.

advertisement

Back