advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

Yes, I do. I'm not the biggest bloke out there and anything over 40mm looks silly on me. My favourite size is my SNK 805, which I think is 37. My Alpinist at 40 is the upper limit for me.

Same here. Luckily the Alpinist seems to look smaller than 40mm on wrist.

37 - 39 mm is my comfort zone.

Local jewellers generally know how to do basic servicing and repairs, or they have a man who does.

I hope that turns out to be the case, been recommended a small jewellers near me, turn out a pal has his Rolex and Tag serviced by them and he was happy. They've quoted me much much less for fixing the Seiko, and if its good I'll recommend them here.

I was tempted to pick up a moonSwatch the other day at the Swatch shop in the Zurich airport. Great looking dial but the strap let it down. After the initial hype, what’s the consensus? Worth CHF 250?

Yes, I do. I'm not the biggest bloke out there and anything over 40mm looks silly on me. My favourite size is my SNK 805, which I think is 37. My Alpinist at 40 is the upper limit for me.

I'm well built but have puny wrists, my Nomos is 38mm, it seems slightly small but people I trust tell me it looks right. I've tried bigger watches and anything 40mm+ looks wrong.

Cheers BB

I was tempted to pick up a moonSwatch the other day at the Swatch shop in the Zurich airport. Great looking dial but the strap let it down. After the initial hype, what’s the consensus? Worth CHF 250?
If you like it, certainly. That's £220. I paid nearly half that 15 years ago for a Swatch without the Omega badge, with inflation that's getting close.

The looks are great if you ignore the Velcro strap. Not sure I want to go with something that large (like you, I prefer watches under 40mm).
Omega-Swatch-MoonSwatch-Magazin-2-1.jpg

I have a friend with a genuine Omega moon watch. I think he'd look at me funny if I turned up sporting one of those, so much as I like them, I wouldn't get one. I've been tempted by the Bulova version, but it's quartz, and I'm not in the habit of buying quartz watches.

With the different case materials it’s more of a cool geeky celebration of the space age than a knock off. Still on the fence.

I like them. Were they readily available? If so I’ll ask the Mrs to pick one up next time she’s passing through. I don’t wear expensive watches now, too much attention and potential hassle.

Funny how almost everyone say they like watches in the 34mm - 36mm range, but almost everything on the market these days is much bigger.

I love velcro straps! I use one with my Casio 'Duro' and it feels really solid and comfortable in equal measure. I don't like the feeling of metal on my skin so when it comes to big or heavy watches, velcro straps ftw!

I've never done the watch thing. Never really bothered me.

Just stumbled on the last few pages of this thread and I now have a 38mm Seiko 5 Auto Field Watch for my skinny wrist for everyday use. I sense a slippery slope approaching...

I have a friend with a genuine Omega moon watch. I think he'd look at me funny if I turned up sporting one of those, so much as I like them, I wouldn't get one. I've been tempted by the Bulova version, but it's quartz, and I'm not in the habit of buying quartz watches.

We must have very similar tastes - I like the look of the Bulova, and the fact they can be bought at a hefty discount if you shop around, but there's just something not quite right about it being quartz..
As for those plastic replica 'space mission' Omega things - just no.

Eb6FZDUl.png

Just stumbled on the last few pages of this thread and I now have a 38mm Seiko 5 Auto Field Watch for my skinny wrist for everyday use. I sense a slippery slope approaching...

I definitely wouldn't go back and look at the earlier pages and threads then in that case Mr.Nic... :)

Great choice! Which variant did you get? I favour the green and blue ones. I've had a Seiko snk 805 (green) on my wrist most days for the last 8 years, it's been bulletproof. I have others but this is the one that gets the use and it's cheap enough even after the price rises that you can wear it anywhere and not worry about it. The standard straps are OK, when you get bored with it you can go posh with a suitably chunky outdoorsy leather strap or stay with the military look and fit a NATO. You really can't go wrong with one of these. Enjoy having it, use it every day and bash it about without fear.

Funny how almost everyone say they like watches in the 34mm - 36mm range, but almost everything on the market these days is much bigger.

I have a 34mm Air-King, it's a pretty little watch but it looks kind of tiny on me 'cause I have an 8 1/2" wrist circumference. Still, I like it and I'm wearing it today. But I've had people mistake it for a boy's size watch before.

Great choice! Which variant did you get? I favour the green and blue ones. I've had a Seiko snk 805 (green) on my wrist most days for the last 8 years, it's been bulletproof. I have others but this is the one that gets the use and it's cheap enough even after the price rises that you can wear it anywhere and not worry about it. The standard straps are OK, when you get bored with it you can go posh with a suitably chunky outdoorsy leather strap or stay with the military look and fit a NATO. You really can't go wrong with one of these. Enjoy having it, use it every day and bash it about without fear.

I get what you're saying about the strap, lots of possibilities! I went for the all black option for this one but really like the green as an alternative. Maybe, if I see one cheap enough I may indulge...

advertisement

Back