advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

Mine:

AA80-F85-C-E581-4-A9-B-826-C-A1280-C4370-A9.jpg" alt="AA80-F85-C-E581-4-A9-B-826-C-A1280-C4370-A9

You really need to look after the highly polished metal though; I’ve managed without any real signs of wear for 8+ years now, but one day I’ll make a mistake….

Very nice! How do you keep it so clean and tidy?

Got mine from Miltons (Liverpool) for £9499 (full set with boxes, cert',tags, etc).
I like Miltons due to no risk of buying a frakenwatch or misrepresentation.

Very nice! How do you keep it so clean and tidy?

Got mine from Miltons (Liverpool) for £9499 (full set with boxes, cert',tags, etc).
I like Miltons due to no risk of buying a frakenwatch or misrepresentation.
I just take care. I think I paid about £5k new, so it’s nice to know that it’s gone up a bit :). It’s a very attractive watch and wears smaller than it looks. It’s definitely better looking than a Sub IMHO.

Prices are silly high. I like Sub and had one, but sold it to finance the Milgauss.
Bought Sub for £4200 10 years ago, sold to a dealer for £16000.

Prices are silly high. I like Sub and had one, but sold it to finance the Milgauss.
Bought Sub for £4200 10 years ago, sold to a dealer for £16000.
Which Sub? I’ve a 2012 14060M bought for about the same price 10 years back. It’s for my elder son and I asked him if he wanted to sell it but he wants it for when he’s older :)

Before Covid when I visted my father, he gave me a Jaeger LeCoultre watch, boxed and untouched. I've still never worn it (or maybe once). It's a bloody quartz movement! It looks very nice and modest - leather strap, normal-sized case/face rather than those enormous things watches have become - but I don't like quartz watches really. I still have an older Rotary I wear more regularly. Plus an 20-odd jewel Olma automatic and an early 1960s watch from an obsolete lower-end Swiss maker. I wear all those more regularly. Also a Sekonda with metal bracelet from a long time back which is engraved from a girlfriend I haven't seen in decades. Painful to wear that, but a nice watch.

Plenty other little oddities. A 'Saxon' watch made in the DDR. A Junghans with a rather small face. A little Soviet watch I found at a market.

What on earth has happened to Seiko prices? My snk 805 was £50 for years, then crept up to about £100 a year ago, now at £200. Why?

What on earth has happened to Seiko prices? My snk 805 was £50 for years, then crept up to about £100 a year ago, now at £200. Why?
You can still get these for about 100 if you look about. I got one on sale for €80 as a present for my brother. And I bought that in a bricks and mortar shop!

I've been told by a Dealer that Seiko want to rise there prices to £500 and above and stop dealers giving a discount
Under £500 will be Seiko 5
Plus there going to discontinue the lower priced Grand Seiko range to make way for King Seiko

Yes they've definitely revised their pricing strategy. I bought one of the SARB 033's for just over a couple of hundred quid (I think) before the prices headed North to the £400-£500 range if prices of sold stuff on eBay is anything to go by.

I think that possibly what might have happened is that they have nailed the manufacturing and scale to the point where they can build high quality stuff way cheaper than anybody else, and instead of pricing it at cost plus a small margin, they've thought b*gger it, if nobody else can compete at that price point, why not start to take decent margins on more of the range. Could be b*llocks of course, but I'm pretty damn sure the manufacturing cost of older models where the design and tooling has been fully amortised haven't doubled like the prices have :)

advertisement

Back