advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

Looking for a reliable non-tech daily wearer I kept seeing adverts up there ^ for Nite watches.

Took a look and they’re UK made, based on a Swiss quartz movement. Reasonably priced I felt, so bought one of these:

52200844825_8602778fe0_c.jpg

Very nicely made I think.

https://www.nitewatches.com/products/mx10210t25green

I also rather like the Alpha, but cannot buy another watch for quite a while now!

U8vmhTG.jpg

I always take a look at the watch pages and I thought it was about time I showed some of mine.
I have a number of watches owned by my late father who was something of a watch collector and repairer.
This is a 1952 ex Military IWC MK 11. My dad owned this for many years and it was his pride and joy. In later life he suffered from Parkinsons disease and he fell heavily in front of a moving car in a car park in 2008. He was badly injured and he never wore any watch again after this. I sent it to IWC after he died in 2011 and had it repaired and refurbished under their vintage watch repair service.

U8vmhTG.jpg

I always take a look at the watch pages and I thought it was about time I showed some of mine.
I have a number of watches owned by my late father who was something of a watch collector and repairer.
This is a 1952 ex Military IWC MK 11. My dad owned this for many years and it was his pride and joy. In later life he suffered from Parkinsons disease and he fell heavily in front of a moving car in a car park in 2008. He was badly injured and he never wore any watch again after this. I sent it to IWC after he died in 2011 and had it repaired and refurbished under their vintage watch repair service.

Just in case of any misunderstanding, I like the watch and not your father's unfortunate accident.

r7uJmYW.jpg

Here is another one of my Dads watches, a Milber alarm watch which he wore every day to work. The alarm is wound and set by the top winding crown and the bottom crown winds and sets the time. The alarm is a fairly low volume buzz and my dad used to put it in a shallow tin on the bedside table to amplify the sound.
After he died I had it serviced and repaired at a watch repairers in Warrington and I replaced the Fixoflex strap with a leather strap from my dads spares. About a year later I was walking through Lime Street Station in Liverpool when the strap gave way and it fell off my wrist. I would have been totally unaware but when it hit the ground the alarm went off. I was so accustomed to the sound of the alarm that even in the noise of the station the sound cut straight through and I turned and there it was on the ground.

mbKMkCW.jpg

This is a manual wind Record watch with case and strap in 9ct gold.
My Dad bought this when he retired as a present to himself I guess. He used to say 'it's for Weddings, Funerals and Christenings son'.
These days I have adopted the same pattern of use although I also wear it on New Years Eve if I'm going out.
It is quite heavy but very comfortable to wear. After a minute or two the entire watch and strap warms up to body temperature. I suppose all watches do that, but somehow it feels more noticeable with this watch.
When I had it serviced I was told it has a 'long spring' and that's why it takes a lot of winds on the crown before it is fully wound. In fact, from fully unwound it takes 4-5 good winds before the second hand begins to move and about 12-13 winds for fully wound.
That's it for now, I feel like I'm hogging the show.

U8vmhTG.jpg

That's a lovely looking watch. I don't have anything nearly so nice, but I do have a couple of 1960s vintage Seiko automatics from my late father.

U8vmhTG.jpg

That is indeed a lovely thing. It says something that IWC has a vintage watch repair service.
I wish I had something like that to remind me of my father. But he had no interest in watches and an elbow injury meant he couldn’t even turn his wrist to read the time.

I recently scrached a 20 year itch and got a barely worn 2011 Milgauss 116400.
I prefer older Rolex designs, but not Milgauss. It's big but comfy.

Rolex-Milgauss-116400-GV-wrist-shot-2048x1365.jpg
That’s exactly my Milgauss of choice. Mine’s a 2014. Can I be cheeky and ask how much you paid in 2022?

Mine:

AA80-F85-C-E581-4-A9-B-826-C-A1280-C4370-A9.jpg" alt="AA80-F85-C-E581-4-A9-B-826-C-A1280-C4370-A9

You really need to look after the highly polished metal though; I’ve managed without any real signs of wear for 8+ years now, but one day I’ll make a mistake….

advertisement

Back