advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

Just cut the appraisal tag off: it’s staying :)

EC0-D3-E2-F-39-F1-4730-9747-1042567-F022-F.jpg

The face is deceptive; it takes on a lot of the colour of the light. In daylight it’s a bit more ‘blue’ silver.

That looks lovely. The sort of elegant understated watch I would get (if I wore a watch!).

Reactions: JTC
Ok. My JLC is here. What’s the consensus on OEM straps versus aftermarket. It’s on a beautiful alligator leather strap but my experience with (admittedly budget) leather straps is that they wear out. Is it a problem with top-end straps as well?
Get what you like. They all wear out. It's a consumable item. If you are bothered about "the original" then take it off and put it in a drawer, and fit another. More expensive straps last longer of course, and a deployment catch is kinder to it, but a couple of years, worn most days, and you're done. skin oils and salt from sweat will do for it. Everything wears out. Buy a £500 pair of shoes and walk 2 miles in them, every day, and see what happens.

That looks really classy, by the way. Very elegant and none of the shouty "look at me!" of the usual tedious suspects.

I picked up the black Casio Duro diver a few days ago from Amazon for £56 (up from £40 before Xmas!).

There are a few US only colour ways that wouldn't have worked out much more expensive. The GMT style Pepsi bezel didn't make much sense as it's still 60 mins. The green bezel is quite nice though. In the end I decided not to risk any customs nonsense and went with the black (which still ended up being shipped from the US...)

No one's going to mistake it for a Rolex but for an everyday beater it suits me very well.

IMG-20220114-105226.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Still figuring out strap strategy for the JLC. Ordered a couple from Barton before realising that they’re US dispatched, so trying to cancel and buy a UK brand. The JLC crocodile strap is lovely but I think it’s a little delicate for me and I like the idea of a slightly thicker dark blue leather to pick out the subtle blue of the second hand.

Once sorted, I will start the idea-seeding campaign towards a Reverso Duo for my 50th at the end of next year ;)

Still figuring out strap strategy for the JLC. Ordered a couple from Barton before realising that they’re US dispatched, so trying to cancel and buy a UK brand. The JLC crocodile strap is lovely but I think it’s a little delicate for me and I like the idea of a slightly thicker dark blue leather to pick out the subtle blue of the second hand.

Once sorted, I will start the idea-seeding campaign towards a Reverso Duo for my 50th at the end of next year ;)

Watch Obsession are a good UK source for straps

https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/

I've had great service previously from https://www.watchgecko.com/leather-watch-straps

They were happy to exchange/refund a Milanese mesh strap that I had ordered and subsequently regretted, no hassle at all. They are UK based, although their staff "about us" section doesn't seem to involve anyone actually involved in physical manufacture.

They generally quote the lug end thickness and taper of their straps, which helps with matching appropriate straps to case thicknesses. Currently have 2 of their straps and they are bearing up as well as any other.

I've had good experience with Watch Gecko too.
Ok, managed to get a WG strap and I immediately like it better than the JLC Croc since it seems less complicated (the double butterfly was fiddly) and seems to sit better on the wrist. Well pleased!

advertisement

Back