advertisement

The Wall is 40 this week!

Fuller

pfm Member
Pink Floyd's The Wall is 40 this week!
Release date was 30th November 1979, but I got my copy on the 28th, for some reason my local Woolworths had copies on the shelves, and I was so excited!
Anyone on here recall the release at the time?
Anyway my copy is still in excellent condition, been in the rack for 40 years - phew!
Must have a listen this week for sure.

As is PIL’s Metal Box, which makes for an interesting contrast!

PS I also bought The Wall on day of release, though sadly no longer have my copy. I still have my rusty Metal Box though!

I’m pretty sure I bought it on the week of release as I was working in central Manchester at the time. I was looking for it the other week but couldn’t find it. My loss.

I’m pretty sure I bought it on the week of release as I was working in central Manchester at the time. I was looking for it the other week but couldn’t find it. My loss.

I know exactly what happened to mine and it still annoys me to this day. There was a point I was very short of poly inners, and Nagaokas being so expensive I poached some from parts of my collection that were just not in rotation at all at the time. The Wall was one such album. The problem was I’d totally forgotten I’d left the PVC transparent ‘sticker’ thing in the first card inner. Next time I looked at the Wall several years later with a view to playing it and putting it back in fresh Nags I noticed side 1 was absolutely trashed by a chemical reaction to the sticker thing, so I ended up chucking it out. A UK 1st press which would be worth a couple of hundred quid now!

FFS that makes me feel old! Yep still have my original copy also but may have bought it maybe 6 months after it was released.

I was just saying to a mate the other day on the "you know you're getting old when..." thang that when you remember buying new those things now being described as "classic" and "vintage"....:rolleyes:

Never liked it.

It was the last Pink Floyd album I ever bought, to this day I’ve not even heard the later ones. I was 16 at the time, just starting to transition from prog to new-wave etc, and very much liked it initially, then went right off it viewing it as a load of self-indulgent tosh (which it is), and finally making my peace with it (I have the CD) as someone far older and no longer aligned to any genres or musical perspectives. Like so much music it was a part of my life at a specific point, represents a time, a context, and I don’t think I can even think of it in terms of like/dislike any more. It just ‘is’. Pink Floyd playing disco is teh funnies too, and should always be encouraged.

Even at the age of 12, as a Council estate kid with aspirations, I found the choir of working class children singing "We don't need no education" incredibly patronising...especially coming from a bunch of public school boys.

Last edited:
I bought the double LP on release in 1979 and I also went to the 1980 Earls Court performance. LP long but the gig is fused in long term memory.

Side 3. Every time.

I still remember one of the reviews in either NME or Sounds which was, quite rightly, not complimentary and ended with the line ‘all in all, I’m just another prick who bought The Wall’.

I’m surprised there hasn’t been a 40th anniversary release.
It seems to me that one of the industry’s main revenue streams is trying to sell us the music we already have, over and over again.
Looking forward to the 50th anniversary though!

Kevin

Although I didn't know about the anniversary, it's apt that I bought my first ever copy this week - on CD

Even at the age of 12, as a Council estate kid with aspirations, I found the choir of working class children singing "We don't need no education" incredibly patronising...especially coming from a bunch of public school boys.
Absolutely.

I bought the double LP on release in 1979 and I also went to the 1980 Earls Court performance. LP long but the gig is fused in long term memory.

Side 3. Every time.

I was there too, what an evening that was! Roadies constructed a wall from lightweight bricks and Pink Floyd all sat at different levels playing their instruments. At the time it seemed innovative and imaginative, with the benefit of hindsight it was a little self-indulgent. I’m still in touch with the girl I went to it with, after all these years she recalls the excitement and atmosphere of the gig. (Now a ‘girl’ of 64!)

advertisement

Back