Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The 'Wagatha Christie' affair is far from over ...

Discussion in 'off topic' started by gassor, Jun 24, 2020.

1. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

games of thrones is a famous agatha christie novel.

2. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

Agatha Christie wrote one of the strangest books I've ever read (and I've read 'Finnegans Wake'). It's called 'Passenger to Frankfurt'. This person on 'GoodReads' summarises it well:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/310224.Passenger_to_Frankfurt

'Passenger is one of her thrillers, although the word hardly applies. Set in 1970, it starts out promisingly with unambitious diplomat Sir Stafford Nye accepting a daring proposal from the beautiful and enigmatic Countess Renata in the Frankfort airport. The next 100 pages are engaging as he tries to track down this woman, avoids some near death experiences, and meets with his amusing great aunt. But then Agatha Christie totally forgets about that plot and spends another 160 pages underdeveloping a Youth riot/neo-Nazi/world domination scheme where the same characters are rarely seen in more than one chapter and the so-called mystery/murder is an afterthought in the last chapter (no clues anywhere that I can see). And then a nonsensical epilogue.

I had read this as a child but didn't really remember very well; now I see why. It's full of rants about youth which are sadly typical of late Christie. The only thing I can say is that an author needs to start rewrites from page 100 on with the premise. I really can't even recommend this for completists.'

It's sort of like an experimental novel, but written 'straight', and, as someone else comments, it's almost impossible to get a handle on what's happening, probably because Christie herself kept forgetting what she'd already written. I almost expected it to end 'Then I woke up, and it had all been a dream'.

3. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

The trial has opened, the goddesses of war ( Rebecca and Colleen) have taken their positions in the highest court in the land, The Royal Courts of Justice. Vast intellectual resource (not to mention vast treasure M’Lud) has been brought to bear in this Judgement of Solomon.

Day 1:

“Sherborne quoted Vardy’s words from the interview: “Peter’s hung like a small chipolata … the smallest trouser equipment I’ve ever seen”.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...te-peter-andre-remarks?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
    [​IMG]

Mike & Van and andrewd like this.
  4. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Peter who?

5. TheDecameron

6. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

There's nothing I give less of a shxt about right now or ever than these 2 talent vacuums and their falling out.

martin clark, MikeMA and Bob McC like this.
  7. Bob McC

I just hope they bankrupt each other pursuing this.

Richard Lines likes this.
  8. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

The legal bills will be crippling. Vardy could end up bankrupt if costs are awarded.

9. Richard Lines

Richard Lines pfm Member

I think you're being overly generous personally.

Regards

Richard

Barrymagrec likes this.
  10. Alex N

Alex N pfm Member

Peter Andre, quietly sat at home, finds himself trending on Twitter...

[​IMG]

sean99 and Joe Hutch like this.
  11. MUTTY1

MUTTY1 Waste of bandwidth

I’m hung like a small chipolata and this woman has mocked my manhood. I’m putting all my social media weight behind the one that isn’t Vardy!
    I’ve been aroused!!

12. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

Cue the world's smallest violin.

13. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Couldn't they have settled this with some sort of cage fight for social media, rather than enrich m'learned friends?

Vardy needs to change her IT expert, keep losing passwords and access to devices - one could imagine a perjury charge arising from such consistent incompetence and lapses of memory.

14. TheDecameron

It was the opening salvo from Learned Counsel acting for the plaintiff ( a man described as having an even deeper tan than either the plaintiff or the defendant) that was so amusing. There’s a weeks good entertainment ahead and I could certainly do with a distraction from current events.

15. Bob McC

It’s a good job she didn’t marry Harry Redknapp.

16. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

Legal bills are said to be around £1m for each party. Whoever “wins” is likely to receive £15-40k in damages and will only receive up to 70% of their legal costs.

I can’t see Vardy going bankrupt at those costs, but they are silly for what is being argued over. The big winners are the Lawyers representing them both.

17. TheDecameron

The Courts of Justice are society’s resource yet it’s interesting that resource can be diverted to stuff like this. NHS doctorsdoing a bit of work in the private sector are probably kicking themselves they didn’t go into the law instead.

18. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

Was just thinking the same thing, and wishing we had cameras in our courts like America, complete with live TV coverage - can you imagine it? :)

19. Bob McC

Judges can award no costs at all if they think the action was a waste of court time.

20. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Yes, you are probably right but it depends how much of his income he is burning through & he is at the end of his career.