advertisement

The TRUTH Why Modern Music Is Awful

Some tribute acts put more passion into their performance than the originals. Watched Echo and the Bunnymen on Jools and thought what is the point, apart from the topping up the pension fund? In their hay day they would have sneered vociferously at bands doing the same thing.

I never liked their music, but their attitude was good, especially regarding muddy festivals. Strange they should do this, quickest way to earn a buck
I suppose as they are possibly unable to earn decent dosh in another working environment.

Sorry gassor, detest tribute acts, should be banned. I always enjoyed some of the pub bands from the 70's, when they played tunes of the day, sometimes sounding better than the original.

Bloss

I never liked their music, but their attitude was good, especially regarding muddy festivals.

I love their first album, Crocodiles, a classic new-wave album IMHO that stands comparison against anything of its era. I’ll happily listen to anything up to and including Heaven Up Here, but the first is ‘the one’.

A few weeks back and cos I'm interested in how all forms of music are mixed I listened to an analysis of some huge recent hit, its' constituent parts laid bare etc and how the mix was compiled.We are talking state of the art, money no object artist and I was frankly, truly surprised. Ignoring whether the song was a "good one, it sold buckets and I can see why, the thing that stood out for me was the following. Every single sound was a stock well known synth patch and in 2018 the USA main mixers are utilizing nothing more than the standard box of mixing tricks from EDM circa the mid 90s.

That is, the USA, who to a degree control how contemporary pop sounds, are 20 years behind the UK, Europe and much of the rest of the world in their current mixing techniques when it comes to chart/pop music.

I have thankfully no idea who he is, but that Washington Post review ranks as one of the best pannings I’ve ever read in a lifetime of reading music reviews!

True garbage music existed in 50's, 60's and 70's, but atleast they were original garbage of that particular decade. Nowadays the artist nick the famous tunes and try and turn it into their own/song or track which usually comes out worse, sometimes their version offers something new. What is obvious that a lot of new popular artists (which are often on Radio 1 or Heart stations) have little or no talent for playing or creating music which is so reflected in the music. Anything half decent tune is milked to death and instruments defnitely have second or even third place to studio productions. Who needs to play an instrument when a studio can do it all for you, wow wee can do music and introduce new noises and cool beats - no wonder alot (not all) modern music is so utter crap and anything half decent has probably all been done before and in a much better way,

"Old people have never made great records." Discuss.

Johnny Cash, Leonard Cohen, Willie Nelson, Bob Dylan and John Lee Hooker would like to oppose the motion. Not coming up with any women's names though if that matters.

OMG :( Carole King, Joni Mitchell, Joan Baez, Judy Collins...

OMG :( Carole King, Joni Mitchell, Joan Baez, Judy Collins...
I subsequently came up with Loretta Lynn, Billie Holiday and Emmylou Harris a few posts later after a minute's thought and I'm sure their are lots more eg Alice Coltrane just came to me. Apart from maybe Joni Mitchell have any of your list made great records in their 60s?

Apart from maybe Joni Mitchell have any of your list made great records in their 60s?
I took the category to be artists who are old now (like me) producing great records (at any time, not just as oldsters). :cool:

After many genres, I have been happy with electronic music for most of this century. Certainly enough 'new' & complex for me :D

True garbage music existed in 50's, 60's and 70's, but atleast they were original garbage of that particular decade. Nowadays the artist nick the famous tunes and try and turn it into their own/song or track which usually comes out worse, sometimes their version offers something new. What is obvious that a lot of new popular artists (which are often on Radio 1 or Heart stations) have little or no talent for playing or creating music which is so reflected in the music. Anything half decent tune is milked to death and instruments defnitely have second or even third place to studio productions. Who needs to play an instrument when a studio can do it all for you, wow wee can do music and introduce new noises and cool beats - no wonder alot (not all) modern music is so utter crap and anything half decent has probably all been done before and in a much better way,

I am so depressed after reading this. ;)

advertisement

Back