advertisement

The Tenth Anniversary Wam show . March the 18th 2018

I used to love the pre-day get together that happened every sat night before the show - lots of beer, chat, wander round some rooms - all good :). It seems to be a bit ‘organised’ now though and that never was the case. Anyway, I’m not boycotting the Sat night I’m just working late Sat afternoon and can’t raise the energy to do it this time. I’ll be there on the Sunday though with a couple of friends :).

I'm guessing that a lot of lessons were learnt from last year because I don't think that there are any organised activities on Saturday, so it's just like it used to be except there aren't any bigger/syndicate rooms.

I didn't make the last couple of Scalfords but have fond memories of exhibiting a fair few times.
I think it was time for a change of venue and am looking forward to exhibiting at Kegworth.

The multi box Naim system is no more, so come along to the top floor, room 222 and be dazzled by some Devialet.

I didn't make the last couple of Scalfords but have fond memories of exhibiting a fair few times.
I think it was time for a change of venue and am looking forward to exhibiting at Kegworth.

The multi box Naim system is no more, so come along to the top floor, room 222 and be dazzled by some Devialet.

I enjoyed your Naim based systems at Scalford in those big rooms.. the Devialet must be some amp to beat it ..Will be up for a listen ..

What speakers and source are you using Adam - is it still a loaded LP12 and Neats - I'm guessing not?

What speakers and source are you using Adam - is it still a loaded LP12 and Neats - I'm guessing not?

Yes it is still a very high spec LP12 and indeed still the Neat MF7's - a combination that on first hearing led me to reconsider my Naim combo.

To those exhibiting and visiting tomorrow, I hope you all have a great day. I’m gutted I can’t make it to the first year at the new venue, I had been really looking forward to it but I’ve got a severe chest infection and may need hospital admission. Hopefully I'll be there next year provided I don't have another chest infection.:(

yeah its been fun reading this thread. Simply too far to come from scotland.

Any minimalists with open baffle and a fatman amp going?-)

Woke up with an ear infection and vertigo, great! I was planning on going but not anymore.

I hope the day goes smoothly for everyone exhibiting and everyone has a great day.

Please take loads of pictures and I look forward to the reports.

Cheers
Rob

Big day! Good luck and wishing all exhibitors full rooms, pie full tums and an absence of bearded men bearing steam engine noises LP's! :)

I've had a lovely day at the show today - my third visit. Boy oh boy do I feel like a nerd, but I met some lovely people and I'm amazed at the effort exhibitors must go to. There can't be many places where you can hear so many different interpretations of set-up.I didnt get into every room but I liked the following: Room 7, (Cable monkey). An AR turntable, ncore amp, a passive pre I think and DIY Tannoys. Very enjoyable - those fairly large cabinets even imaged well. It just sounded 'right'. Room 4 (Mickyrickey and Divedeepdog) I can't remember what was up front but Avondale Revelation speakers and Rel Strata subs I think. I think the material would be classed as 'Blues', not my normal cuppa but this set-up made it sound good! Room 110 (IJ Russell). Raspberry Pi, Pass pre/power but some DIY standmounts with offboard x-overs. (Hiquophon tweeters by the look of them) making a room filling sound, with almost unbelievable bass from such small cabinets. Room 220 (Andy360 and Stefan) with Hypex and DIY Ergo IX doing the 'make my speakers disappear trick'. 'Greybeard' in room 17 was also a member of the same magicians club and integrated a sub with his 3/5a clones very nicely. Room 222: (Adamk). If you'd bought this lot new you'd be £35k lighter of wallet. Blimey. Bel Canto CD or £15k worth of LP12. Gulp. This is where 'hi fi' gets difficult for me. I'm most grateful to Adam for bringing this along and letting me listen. In many respects it's awesome, but there's a 0.5% of me that thinks there's a tiny bit of what I can only call sterility. Maybe it's just so good, there's nowhere left to go. Cheaper rigs that draw the best out of components, that somehow seem to be more than the sum of their parts are in some ways more fascinating. (but I'm not suggesting they're 'better'). Adam's rig is effortless, cleaner than a surgeons tools. I can't imagine any music that wouldn't sound right. Would I want to try it at home? Oh yes please. But I'd also want to take Cable Monkey's set-up and some little standmounts like those Ergo's. A bit of everything please.

Thanks to everyone who braved the horrid weather to get to the show yesterday. I had a fairly steady stream of visitors to my room (110) through the day and most were complimentary about my DIY amps and speakers. I managed to get out and about for a bit whilst Cameron room sat for me (Thanks Cameron) and had a wander around the top floor. I was genuinely impressed with all of the systems that I heard over the weekend.

How did the snow affect the show? Were visitor numbers much down??

Visitor numbers were down understandably- all roads around Kegworth were fine (it's 2 mins off the M1).
I wonder what state the roads were in around Scalford yesterday.

Room 110 (Photo courtesy of @freefallrob and AudioAbattoir.com) showing my DIY Pass DCB1 pre amp, DIY Pass Aleph 60 Class A monoblock power amps and DIY bespoke speakers with Corian (r) enclosure and external crossovers.
7d86fb81c278525e9abab242884fbfea4826e0df.JPG

advertisement

Back