advertisement

The Sparks Brothers

I saw them on the Plagiarism tour at the Astoria in London which was an amazingly good show. The backing band were rather excellent. Most of their hits back to back was brilliant to see live. Saw them on several occasions since, Balls at Shepherds Bush was fun, but the recent show (3/4 years ago, maybe Aeroflot) at the same venue was poor. Russell's live singing was not as good as it needed to be, unsurprisingly given his age I guess.

Very talented quirky guys, but they have a habit of playing the whole of the latest album at their shows even when it was only released a few weeks beforehand, so that most fans are unfamiliar with the material.

I'm not a big fan, but they've got a great list of interesting hits (not all are on Plagiarism)....but some of the newer albums could have benefited from better quality control.

This movie should be a good watch.... I'll look forward to it. Thanks for posting, and please add your review here.

Look forward to seeing that sometime. I’ve got their early stuff (Woofer, Kimono, Propaganda) though no real idea of the more recent.

I tried an album about 15 years ago, hardly played it. I stick with the earlier stuff/singles.

Didn’t they play 30 nights with 30 different albums a while ago? sticks in my head. Didn’t go, obviously.

Propaganda is my desert island disc. Absolute perfection and not a duff moment on it. I can take or leave (mostly leave) the rest.

The four Island releases are essential IMHO as well as the two with Giorgio Moroder.

Bought Kimono My House upon its release. Still stands the test of time. Brilliant, original and creative. Amongst the very best pop music of all time.

Bought Kimono My House upon its release. Still stands the test of time. Brilliant, original and creative. Amongst the very best pop music of all time.

That’s the high watermark for me, but in fairness I’ve not heard much of the later stuff. I’ve got Woofer In Tweeter’s Clothing, Kimono and Propaganda. Kimono is just so original and appropriately bonkers. I remember it sounding really good too with a great bass sound (I’ve got original vinyl for all these).

Kimono is just so original and appropriately bonkers. I remember it sounding really good too with a great bass sound (I’ve got original vinyl for all these).
The first half is just stupendously good - one of my favourite single sides! Sadly I sold my copy years ago, probably in the punk era. None of the CD versions I’ve heard come within a country mile of reproducing the thundering bass of the original vinyl (I thought it was all Rickenbacker, but I read an amusing* interview with the bass player in which he said at least some was Fender.)

*a few light-hearted digs at Ron.

Seeing Ron and Russell on TOTP in 1974 doing This Town was another one of those glorious WTF moments. I've dabbled with various of their albums over the years and mostly liked them. Kimono My House the standout, but I also have a soft spot for the weird operatic Seduction of Ingmar Bergman. Would really like to see that film.

I'm going to see them at the Roundhouse on Easter Sunday and I'm not quite sure what to expect, but I can't wait!

The first half is just stupendously good - one of my favourite single sides! Sadly I sold my copy years ago, probably in the punk era. None of the CD versions I’ve heard come within a country mile of reproducing the thundering bass of the original vinyl (I thought it was all Rickenbacker, but I read an amusing* interview with the bass player in which he said at least some was Fender.)

Kimono used to be a really easy find, I think I hoovered my current tidy EX/EX copy out of a £1 bin and I’ve sold several fairly similar copies over the years on pfm. One of so many once common albums that seems to have gone to ground of late which is highly annoying.

*a few light-hearted digs at Ron.
Martin Gordon, that’s the chap’s name. He has a good website, martingordon.de.
I particularly liked this, from his biog...

‘He returned to the UK in the early 80s and, after forming the short-lived Blue Meanies, began working as keyboard player and studio hand with such sensitive artists/blithering idiots as George Michael, Boy George, Blur, Primal Scream, Kylie Minogue, S’Express, the Tiger Lillies and many others...’

For me the stand out was “the number one song in heaven”,
through Aiwa music centre and Wharfedale Glendale XP2…..bliss.

Just watched it, great viewing, really enjoyed it

Some interesting stuff about a band I really like but never knew much about

advertisement

Back