advertisement

The Sony SCD-XA777ES CD Player

I've no experience with the XA777ES but I'd be surprised if it was anything less than superlative.

I own a vintage Sony 555ESD, 337ESD and 333ESD and they are all fantastic machines.

My only word of caution would be to check on laser availability before committing. Some of the old lasers from the high end Sony machines can be very difficult and expensive to track down.

I had one and found it very good; but not brilliant... it just lacked` something`. I sold it and bought an SCD-1; now that`s a superlative player.

If the 777 is a 6.5, the SCD-1 is a 9 at least.

Agree with above - laser unit is likely to be unobtanium, check first. I had a CDP-X777ES many years ago with a faulty KSS-272A laser. I ended up buying two lower class machines (338es from memory) with same laser before getting a good laser.

When working properly, sound quality was good but not fantastic - I liked it but then made the mistake of buying a Naim CDI. I did however sell the 777es for a profit on eBay, even with the investment in the 2 other players to get a working laser. €689 :)

I guess, as a SCD player, laser is later, but still check availability or be very sure it works properly first!

I had a 339ESD - fantastic CD player. I sold it as the LCD display was losing pixels (common with most Sony gear of this era). Mechanically they are pretty bullet proof but check the display on anything you consider buying - they can't be replaced any longer.

I preferred the Sony to the unit that replaced it - a NAIM CDX2!

I had a 339ESD - fantastic CD player. I sold it as the LCD display was losing pixels (common with most Sony gear of this era). Mechanically they are pretty bullet proof but check the display on anything you consider buying - they can't be replaced any longer.

I preferred the Sony to the unit that replaced it - a NAIM CDX2!

I have never seen a vintage Sony CD player with a faulty display and at least 50 have passed through my hands, so I wouldn't call it a common fault!

Perhaps it is common problem on a particular display module used on certain models.

It happened on my CDP-X339ES, my TC-K890ES and my TA-E2000ESD. They were all same vintage - early 1990s - maybe that's the display module, although they all looked different. The Sony Authorized repair facility told me this so I'm inclined to believe it based on their and my own experience.

advertisement

Back