advertisement

'The songs that made you cry'

This woman work... Kate bush. It popped up this week funny enough on a itv drama ( the kept ). Someone dumped there boss in the woods, and the following day
the song opened up with " Pray god you can cope " lol.

9-CD3-D2-A3-349-B-431-E-A0-EE-1-F8-F0-D922-CF9.jpg
Ladies night

Day in the life of a tree by the Beach Boys. I always hear it as a chronical of Brian's mental decline.

Have you heard Kiri Te Kanawa's take? I first heard it whilst watching a NZ film many years back. Perfect accompaniment for the scene and storyline and indelibly etched into my brain. Naturally I sought out the CD at the time.
I like Victoria de Los Angeles take:

Have you heard Kiri Te Kanawa's take? I first heard it whilst watching a NZ film many years back. Perfect accompaniment for the scene and storyline and indelibly etched into my brain. Naturally I sought out the CD at the time.

VmtUSaO.png
This is where I roll out my 'classical music favourite version theory'. I believe, for most people, the first version of a classical piece they hear tends to be the one that becomes their favourite, regardless of how many other interpretations subsequently heard. In my case, the von Stade version of Bailero was the first one I heard, and even though I have heard other, perhaps more highly regarded versions (Te Kanawa, Davrath) it remains my favourite.

Prompted by a reference in another thread to Paul Simon's 'An American Tune', I was musing over which songs did, or still do, reduce me to tears. Off the top of my head:

The aforementioned 'An American Tune', Paul Simon's 'Mother and Child Reunion', Fleetwood Mac's 'Man of the World, Jackson Browne's 'Song for Adam', David Bowie's 'Quicksand', and Robert Wyatt's 'Shipbuilding' and 'Oh Caroline'.

Nirvana "where did you sleep last. night'. Eric Clapton 'tears in heaven'.

You have to go back to the 60’s for the real tearjerkers
Honey- Bobby Goldsboro
Terry - Twinkle
Tell Laura I Love Her - Ray Peterson
Ah, they just do make ‘em like that any more. ;-)

Bob Mould - Lonely Afternoon
Husker Du - Hardly Getting Over It
Jackson Browne - The Load-out/Stay
Moody Blues - Never thought I'd live to be a hundred (particularly poignant now as I'm fighting cancer!)
REM - Leaving New York

Edit: Neil Young - Unknown Legend

Just off the top of my head . . .

And make of this what you may, but Taps gets me EVERY time. Made it VERY difficult to present the flag to the next of kin at military funerals, even if you almost never know the person you're presenting it to.

Last edited:
I always find this moving - Ewan McColl song but the Unthanks' version is beautiful:

And this gets me in the feels every time as it reminds me of an ex:

This, guaranteed to make me well up:

I'll add "Where are we now?" by Bowie.

It's a fairly sad song about times past but it's the last part

"As long as there's sun
As long as there's sun
As long as there's rain
As long as there's rain
As long as there's fire
As long as there's fire
As long as there's me
As long as there's you
"

That chokes me up for a number of reasons.

81504-AEB-7-FB0-4-A34-A590-8-D6-B1-C5-C1643.jpg
Dedicated to one I should have loved more,
She called it our song, and I missed the point.

advertisement

Back