advertisement

The snow has come ... in Norway.

George J

Herefordshire member
I know Geilo well from childhood and a few visits since, though none for a good while now. It is the nearest town to where my cousins have a cabin in a nearby valley called Skurdalen.

https://www.snoweye.com/?resort=no_geilo

I have look each day as it is a reminiscence. It has snowed a few times in the last fortnight, but this looks set to stay.

Best wishes from George

For all the dreech weather that we get, I am mighty happy living on an island surrounded by warm(ish) water, and at the latitude that we are.

If I never see another flake, it will be too soon.

This snow is fairly normal in early October. Sometimes it comes a bit later and sometimes earlier.

But it is quite hard to imagine this on the edge of the Hardangervidda, with the temperature still resolutely in double figures of degree Celsius in rural Herefordshire, which is not quite right for the time of year.

Best wishes from George

PS: My avatar is the Harlingskarvet, which is the highest mountain about 15 km north east of Geilo.

we've had it here too, oop norff, though not to low levels and probably fairly transient for the next few weeks

Dear G&T,

It is coming, and indeed has arrived with a vengeance in Norway. Mitten crabs that could not survive forty years ago are now menacing the indigenous sea-life of the coastline. All the Norwegians have to do is learn that Mitten crabs are a delicacy!

Best wishes from George

Still quite nice here in Boston, MA, though definitely feeling very autumnal. Long warm Autumns are a benefit of being on the eastern edge of a large landmass where the prevailing wind is from the west. Unfortunately the trade is a full on winter starting in early December and continuing through most of March.

The Daily express has predicted a very harsh winter in the uk. This is great because they are full of s**t and it will therefore be the mildest winter on record

Dusting of snow here on the odd peak near Briançon in the southern French alps. Nothing unusual, and so far, lovely autumn weather. Good for walking. Yesterday, 1 400m up from la Roche de Rame via the col de Peyron to the Lac de l'Ascension. At 63, glad I can still do it, even if it was a bit slower than the last time, 10 years ago.

The Daily Express has predicted a very harsh winter in the uk. This is great because they are full of s**t and it will therefore be the mildest winter on record

I'll drink to that (I usually do)! The Express has always been known for its sensationalist seaweed

advertisement

Back