advertisement

The Smile - A Light For Attracting Attention

Whaleblue

Southbound
Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood, the driving force behind the groundbreaking Radiohead (as though you didn’t know that) have joined up with Tom Skinner, drummer with Sons of Kemet, to produce the most Radiohead-like sound we’ve heard in ages, from the handful of tracks so far released.

I’m absolutely loving it.

I pre-ordered the (yellow IIRC) vinyl a while back, sounded very good based on the couple of tracks I heard. Can’t remember when it’s meant to land! I buy so much on pre-order these days I forget some of it by the time it turns up in a couple of months later. Much is down to pressing plant delays I guess, but I suspect some actually crowd fund to some degree (not Radiohead, who could likely buy the moon by now, more smaller acts).

I pre-ordered the (yellow IIRC) vinyl a while back, sounded very good based on the couple of tracks I heard. Can’t remember when it’s meant to land! I buy so much on pre-order these days I forget some of it by the time it turns up in a couple of months later. Much is down to pressing plant delays I guess, but I suspect some actually crowd fund to some degree (not Radiohead, who could likely buy the moon by now, more smaller acts).

It says EST. RELEASE 17 JUN '22 on my order!

Liking this stuff by Thom Yorke. He does some great stuff outside of Radiohead. Atoms for Peace are good too.

Love this one

Going to see The Smile in about four weeks at Albert Hall, Manchester. I don't really know their material but am encouraged by this thread. Seen Radiohead many times over the years of course.

Yellow landed yesterday. Not played it yet but been listening on Tidal (and as I type!) and loving it.

Have to say I watched the (Sky Arts) concert last week and after about 30 mins was getting itchy feet.....I thought a little slow and plodding. I'd watched the Glastonbury gig last year and loved it...vibrant.
But at 40 mins into the concert the tempo lifted and I got back into it.
Listening more...it's superb.

Tbh I've struggled to get past side 2. Nothing objectionable about it, just not finding it very interesting.

Playing this right now hoping that the canicule breaks tonight.
What incredible talent these 3 guys have - gets better with every listen.
Not one for the instant gratification brigade.;)

Been listening since the digital copy was released and really liking it, my yellow vinyl copy landed yesterday, not opened it yet. I have a pile of unopened vinyl at the minute.

It’s great. I liked it enough that I’ve got both Yellow and Black “Very Limited”* 2LP Editions waiting for me to pick up from Brighton.

It’s definitely a grower. Fortunately I’ll always give Thom and Jonny all the time it takes to click with whatever they’ve done! I doesn’t compete with Radiohead’s finest output, but then very little from anyone does.

*but still available as we speak, so let’s redefine “very limited”!

I wish when they did "limited" editions they were just that, instead of 15 different limited editions in various colours. Just do a regular black one and the limited one.

The Yellow is sold out I think, at least showing as that for a while now on the The Smile website.

Liking The Smoke, and Thin Thing. And The Opposite.

Think it's going to be on repeat tomorrow (WFH)...

advertisement

Back