advertisement

The Same Sky - More 4

MikeMA

pfm Member
I was browsing the TV listings last night, searching for something vaguely worth watching, when I came across "The Same Sky" on More 4. It's a six part German spy thriller set in Germany in the 1970s. It's been on Netflix apparently, but it's new to UK free-to-air TV, and the Times gave it a good write-up so I gave it a go. It's really well made, atmospheric and with an excellent cast. As someone who lived and worked in West Berlin at that time I found it absolutely gripping and totally believable! It really is well worth a watch. I love the opening scenes in the SSD training school. Goodness knows why its hidden away on More 4; I can only assume it's because the dialogue is in German with English subtitles, but don't let that put you off. Anyone else see it?

Edited to correct spelling!

Last edited:
Yes, and I also watched it the first time round - unfortunately I thought this was the much talked about 2nd series, however, the original ratings were poor so everything is till on hold. BTW - it is far far superior to the Deutschland series, though Deutschland 89 is out soon which I am looking forward to.

You may be interested in the following FB group? 'Radio GDR Discussion Group- The Life and Times of East Germany'

MikeMA - what was your 'work' at the time?

Yes, and I also watched it the first time round - unfortunately I thought this was the much talked about 2nd series, however, the original ratings were poor so everything is till on hold. BTW - it is far far superior to the Deutschland series, though Deutschland 89 is out soon which I am looking forward to.

You may be interested in the following FB group? 'Radio GDR Discussion Group- The Life and Times of East Germany'
Thanks for the FB suggestion.

You have PM, or will shortly!

I thought it was really good, I went to Berlin with the family last year & found it fascinating, a great city.

My daughter asked “why are we looking at a wall?” at one point.

Love Berlin, the food damn near killed me after a long weekend but I am bit challenged in the "moderation" steaks, er stakes! Thanks for the HU. As a tangential recommendation can I suggest Wim Wenders' "Wings of Desire" with the great Bruno Ganz (and Nick Cave).

advertisement

Back